pool light full of tar-like substance?

zdylan

Jul 20, 2009
Kingsville, TX
Hello all,
In my quest to make every mistake a pool owner can, I decided to replace the non-working light in my in-ground pool. I unscrewed it, got it to the surface, and saw that water seemed to have gotten into the light and wreaked havoc. I unscrewed the six screws holding the face plate and lens to the body of the light and discovered a great glob of black glop within. It looked almost like it could have had a waterproofing function, but it was massed up against the lens instead of being packed in around the hole for the wiring, which is where I imagine the fixture may have needed waterproofing.
My question is, is this tar stuff normal, or have I discovered an old "repair"? If I'm going get this thing working again, should I try to replace the bulb (which was burnt) and gasket, or should I buy a whole new kit to be rid of the gunk altogether? Thanks for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.