Tile grout for saltwater pool

Hi folks!

Another question for you builder types out there...I'm hoping to have my tile/coping installed this upcoming week and since I'm self contracting, I have to get all the job materials on site before the crew arrives mid-week. I've got the sub lined up and viewed about 5 pools he's worked on and it all looks great. Problem is...he doesn't speak much english so we have some translation issues. I'm not sure exactly what type of grout to get for the waterline tiles and he can't really expain it. I know I need Portland cement and masonry sand, but I'm not sure what type of grout to buy.

Thanks for any input here...

Jim

I wish my spanish was a little better too, but even if it was better, I doubt my vocabulary would include alot of technical or construction terms.

Thanks for the input. I know where to get the Portland, but where do you get the marble dust? And can you color the mix?

Thanks...

Jim,

DO NOT use portland and sand....that's for laying bricks. Tile is set onto concrete with thin-set mortar. Go to Home Depot and get their mid-grade thin-set made by Custom Building Products...I think they call it Verasabond....it's about the best on the market. The grout can be purchased there, too by the same company....it's called Polyblend and comes in many colors.

You or your tile guy needs to get an an understanding of the materials required or you're gonna end up with tile that won't stay on the wall.

Well I think the Portland is for mortaring the coping down (which are basically bricks). I know the tile adheres with thinset. I was just looking for the type of grout, because I know there's a few different types for different applications. I wasn't sure if there was something different I would need for total immersion...as opposed to a floor in your house. I guess any product that would be designed for tiling a shower enclosure would be appropriate.

I'll check out the Custom building products @ Home Depot.

Thanks again...

Jim

Belldiver said:
And can you color the mix?

You can color the mix - however, it can get tricky. If you're making multiple mixes it is extremely difficult to get the exact same color. On the other hand if you make 1 big batch, you may not be able to apply the whole batch before it starts to set up or you may not make quite enough to do the whole job and end up making another mix anyway :( If you want to color it, be VERY PRECISE WITH ALL OF THE MEASUREMENTS, so that you can replicate them if needed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.