Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tile grout for saltwater pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Tile grout for saltwater pool

Hi folks!

Another question for you builder types out there...I'm hoping to have my tile/coping installed this upcoming week and since I'm self contracting, I have to get all the job materials on site before the crew arrives mid-week. I've got the sub lined up and viewed about 5 pools he's worked on and it all looks great. Problem is...he doesn't speak much english so we have some translation issues. I'm not sure exactly what type of grout to get for the waterline tiles and he can't really expain it. I know I need Portland cement and masonry sand, but I'm not sure what type of grout to buy.

Thanks for any input here...

Jim
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

2. Back To Top    #2

Jim, I've always used white portland cement and marble dust mixed in equal amounts to grout the tiles and coping.

(In spanish this would be )(*&*^*( ^%*&#$@# ^%*&%) ... ^^%%&)( )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

I wish my spanish was a little better too, but even if it was better, I doubt my vocabulary would include alot of technical or construction terms.

Thanks for the input. I know where to get the Portland, but where do you get the marble dust? And can you color the mix?

Thanks...

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Jim,

DO NOT use portland and sand....that's for laying bricks. Tile is set onto concrete with thin-set mortar. Go to Home Depot and get their mid-grade thin-set made by Custom Building Products...I think they call it Verasabond....it's about the best on the market. The grout can be purchased there, too by the same company....it's called Polyblend and comes in many colors.

You or your tile guy needs to get an an understanding of the materials required or you're gonna end up with tile that won't stay on the wall.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I think the Portland is for mortaring the coping down (which are basically bricks). I know the tile adheres with thinset. I was just looking for the type of grout, because I know there's a few different types for different applications. I wasn't sure if there was something different I would need for total immersion...as opposed to a floor in your house. I guess any product that would be designed for tiling a shower enclosure would be appropriate.

I'll check out the Custom building products @ Home Depot.

Thanks again...

Jim

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974

6. Back To Top    #6

Duraleigh is right. Go to Home Depot and get your mastic and grout there.

Many times, what you get at HD is better than what some of the contractors use.

7. Back To Top    #7

OK thanks guys, I'll check it out.

Jim

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow, check this guy out.

How's this for a DIY project!

http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, we were brave but not brave enough to tackle the plaster job itself. He's pretty incredible.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Belldiver
    And can you color the mix?
    You can color the mix - however, it can get tricky. If you're making multiple mixes it is extremely difficult to get the exact same color. On the other hand if you make 1 big batch, you may not be able to apply the whole batch before it starts to set up or you may not make quite enough to do the whole job and end up making another mix anyway If you want to color it, be VERY PRECISE WITH ALL OF THE MEASUREMENTS, so that you can replicate them if needed!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

11. Back To Top    #11

OK, got this covered.

Went to Home depot and got everything I need. I'm basically just using with Versabond thinset and white sanded grout, so no more problems here. I'll be using the Portland/masonry sand mix for the brick coping.

Thanks again for the help...

Jim

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974