"O" Ring grease, lube?

information in my sta-rite manual says not to use silicon of any kind on an o-ring as it will apparently eat the ring over time. echoed by the pool store i deal with locally who have yet to lead me astray. if necessary at all, a graphite spray is recommended instead for o-rings. very slick.

tenax said:
information in my sta-rite manual says not to use silicon of any kind on an o-ring as it will apparently eat the ring over time. echoed by the pool store i deal with locally who have yet to lead me astray. if necessary at all, a graphite spray is recommended instead for o-rings. very slick.

That's odd. This Sta-Rite owners manual (http://www.staritepool.com/pdf/S454(7-24-03).PDF]) calls specifically for silicone lubricant in the event the original o-ring is replaced. To wit: "If you replace the O-Ring with a non-internally lubricated O-Ring, you may need to apply a silicone based lubricant" (page nine of the .pdf).

Hey all, as long as it's not petroleum based, it should be cool to use on your o-rings. 8)
As a side note, I've found the silicon based lube softens my fingernails :shock: , I asked (and for a change, the request was honored :eek: ), to get only teflon based lube since I use a few oz of it per day at this time of year

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.