WATER CHANGE AFTER AA TREATMENT

rmklaw

Aug 27, 2009
I am ready to start the AA treatment today. I have not changed water in 4 years. Is there a benefit of changing the water after the AA treatment in my situation? I did an AA tretment a year ago and stains disapeared, but reapeared 3 months ago. I wonder if the water replacement would help getting rid of the metal traces in the water after the AA. Thanks.

FC: 1.8
TC: 2.1
PH: 7.0
TA: 44
CH: 249
CYA: 81
Salt: 3200
Borates: 80

My SWG is off now waiting for FC to go down to zero so I can do the AA treatment. I also have one 3inch by 3" on the corner of the steps with what looks like black algae stubborn. Thining of using something to remove it when I drop down the water level. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I see no real reason to drain your water based on those results.

Have you identified your stains as inorganic? In other words, did you try to run high levels of chlorine to reduce/elimnate stains?

Yes. I did. Even tried to remove one of the stains with acid wash with no results. A year ago had same problem and was taken cere by AA treatment. However, I may have neglected to keep the correct secuestrant levels throughout the year and the stains reappeared. My plan is to do the AA to remove the stains and later on to maybe exchange 20% of the water to bring the water down to the step where I can access the black algae stain to try to remove that too.

Call me paranoid. Back to the water change question. I did the AA treatment this morning with 3# of AA, 2 qts of Jack's magic Magenta and 1 qt of Polyquat 60. Within 15 minutes all stains dissapeared. My concern is that now all metals removed from the plaster are floating in suspension in the water. This is what happened a year ago and the stains came back after 6-8 months, even thou I continue using sequestrant occasionally. Wouldn't I be better off draining the pool to get rid of the metals which may have been introduced by my old previous heater?

I would like a "fool proof" method of removing the metals in suspension after the AA treatment. My tap water is metal free (as far as copper and iron from my Taylor kit). It is also from the water softener. What is the best alternative to prevent reocurrance in the future?
1. replace all water;
2. do partial replacement;
3. don't replace and do something else.

Thanks. I am just paranoid about doing this every 6-8 months.

Your water softener will be VERY VERY stressed trying to fill your pool. Test your water unsoftened for metals.....you may not have any.
What is the best alternative to prevent reocurrance in the future?
since you know and understand sequestrants, I would think your best bet is to simply use them....you must use more of them than you have been.

You also need to control your chemistry. Have you kept your pH down around 7.2 the entire time and monitored it carefully? What about TA

Thanks Duraleigh. The third post above has all the readings prior to the AA. These readings have remained constant through the year with PH oscilating between 7.0 and 7.3 (monitored by the Total control, a Hanna electronic tester, and LaMotte) and TA never above 44. That is why I am worried of reocurrences with the same water. Having to use one bottle of Jack's Magic per week becomes a very expensive proposition; much more expensive than a full or partial water change, especially knowing that my tap water does not have copper or iron.

I guess, I would like to know that I eliminated the source of metals if the water is contaminated by the earlier (year ago) issues with the old heater which was the source of copper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I can't get a good grasp of your situation. There is nothing in your test results that would indicate you have a problem with metal precipitation.....yet you have apparently had it twice.

I see no reason to drain the pool based on your test results but, like you, I would drain it just because the issue has been there3 before.

I just can't figure out why it happened this time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.