24 hr boost vs. using liquid bleach

msujohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
Frisco, Texas
I'm still a newbie with a pool. Mine just finished last week and have a couple of questions. I was told that I should typically use the boost function roughly once a week in the summer. I was wondering if this would cause any premature salt cell failures? Does it make since to use the 24 hr boost function when it's needed or should I just add some bleach in the situation? What is the best approach.

I'm not familiar with your swg but just keep at all times FC above 4.5% of CYA and you will have no reason to boost or shock. Your water will be clear like glass 24/7. I like to keep FC at 5 on all my pools. and CYA between 60-80.

I am curious to see what some of the SWCG experts say about this. I would think that anytime you cal on your SWCG to boost output or to superchlorinate, that it takes that much more life off of the cell. We do routinely tell people with SWCG pools here that shocking with bleach when you need to shock is a good idea since it saves life on the cell. That might be your answer.

I read somewhere recently that their swg would last like 11,000 hours at 100%..

well of course this makes sense the more you run a cell the less life it will have. so keep cya up at right levels can help keep the % output down and cell will last longer. also balance is important. keep water balanced so scale does not collect and you don't have to acid wash the cell.

and run pump min time necessary for good pool turnover so swg doesn't run longer than needed.

these should get the most out of your cell. a cell is like a light bulb it only has a certain amount of life.

btw there should be no reason to shock. just keep FC at the right % to cya at all times.

There are two separate issues here.
One is whether or not you need to periodically "superchlorinate" your pool. If you maintain your FC properly as needed by your CYA level, it will not be necessary. It's only necessary to shock the pool (which is a process, not a one-time shot) if you let the FC drop or something introduces a substantial organic load in the water.
Two would be whether or not to up the electrolysis of your SWG for a chlorine boost, or just use bleach. As far as the water is concerned, there is no significant difference. Both create the same sanitizer. But the SWG cell does have a finite life, and the more you use it, the more of it you use.

Adding a little, one of the advantages of SHOCKING your pool (according to pool school) is the sudden, very high elevation of chlorine.....almost like a well, SHOCK!!

There's no way an SWG can provide that so it makes far more sense to me to shock with liquid chlorine. It may be cheaper but, more importantly, it gives your pool that blast of chlorine to start the shock process.

After all that, as said above, maintain things correctly and you may not need to shock until next Spring.

I have a SWCG and I have had a heavy bather load, I just used liquid chlorine to boost the levels. Added the chlorine, brushed the sides (also mixed) and no problems. It also depends on your pump run time. If you run your pump only 6 hours a day it will take 4 days for the superchlorinate cycle to finish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.