Leak in the pool

May 2, 2011
I was looking at my closed pool just curious to see how it is since I plan to open it in couple months. To my surprise, the water level is very low. It is only about a foot deep (lowest point is 8foot). I lost about 20000 gallon of water this winter. Few questions in my mind, how do I find the leak? Do I have to worry about the lost water? Where can I buy water when the leak is fixed.
Any other ideas/suggestion where I should start or other concerns I have to worry about?
Thank you as usual.

Jovian

Hi, sorry to hear about your leak. I have a few questions to start the troubleshooting process.
Just to confirm, the deep end of the pool only has a foot of water in it?
Do you have a main drain in the deep end?

I have to assume you don't have a liner as it would have shrunk a lot. Also, the volume of water suggests it isn't a fiberglass shell as the estimated volume of lost water is 20,000 gallons, more that the vast majority of them hold. You have either a concrete or hybrid pool. If you have either, remove the hydrostatic reliefs, be they plugs or valves.

Since the water level is dropped so much, its likely to have gotten out either through a bad drain line, failed drain pot, or a failed hydrostatic relief port that contained a plug or a valve.

If its a bad drain line, a pressure test is called for to verify it. The repair may be as simple as plugging the drain or may involve digging up the floor, which I know you didn't want to hear as that can be expensive.

If the seal between the drain pot and the pool has failed, a little silicone may seal it but it will drop the water when it fails. I suggest it be dried and some hydraulic cement or plaster patch (just about the same stuff but colored) be set to reseal it. Lets assume the water table is below the pool or the leak would stabilize at the water table's height or reverse itself and dirty water would enter the pool.

A bad hydrostatic port may fail either where it meets the concrete and finish which also sucks or it can be fixed by using new hydrostatic relief plugs and valves which is more likely and less costly.

Check for cracks too. Since the water is so low, we can't tell if there are additional leaks, be they lines, cracks, or seal joints where two dissimilar materials meet, like skimmer mouths, or bad plumbing, etc... anything that can leak.

Unless you have the pool under your homeowners insurance, any loses are on you, Water may come from your well if that is what you have, municipal water if that is what you have, or you can have it delivered. Since we don't have your location in your signature, we can't tell you for certain. Add in the costs for balancing. Calcium, alkalinity increaser (baking soda), pH UP (Super Washing Soda), and borates (if used) add up.

Scott

zea3 said:
Hi, sorry to hear about your leak. I have a few questions to start the troubleshooting process.
Just to confirm, the deep end of the pool only has a foot of water in it?
Do you have a main drain in the deep end?

yes only the deep end has water. I should say more like 2 feet left. The water level is where the pool star sloping towards the deep end, which led me to believe that there's a leak somewhere around the slope.
No main drain, I only have a skimmer and 2 return jets.
I also saw wrinkles in the pool liner, not sure what that meant.

Thanks for any help.

PoolGuyNJ said:
I have to assume you don't have a liner as it would have shrunk a lot. Also, the volume of water suggests it isn't a fiberglass shell as the estimated volume of lost water is 20,000 gallons, more that the vast majority of them hold. You have either a concrete or hybrid pool. If you have either, remove the hydrostatic reliefs, be they plugs or valves.

Since the water level is dropped so much, its likely to have gotten out either through a bad drain line, failed drain pot, or a failed hydrostatic relief port that contained a plug or a valve.

If its a bad drain line, a pressure test is called for to verify it. The repair may be as simple as plugging the drain or may involve digging up the floor, which I know you didn't want to hear as that can be expensive.

If the seal between the drain pot and the pool has failed, a little silicone may seal it but it will drop the water when it fails. I suggest it be dried and some hydraulic cement or plaster patch (just about the same stuff but colored) be set to reseal it. Lets assume the water table is below the pool or the leak would stabilize at the water table's height or reverse itself and dirty water would enter the pool.

A bad hydrostatic port may fail either where it meets the concrete and finish which also sucks or it can be fixed by using new hydrostatic relief plugs and valves which is more likely and less costly.

Check for cracks too. Since the water is so low, we can't tell if there are additional leaks, be they lines, cracks, or seal joints where two dissimilar materials meet, like skimmer mouths, or bad plumbing, etc... anything that can leak.

Unless you have the pool under your homeowners insurance, any loses are on you, Water may come from your well if that is what you have, municipal water if that is what you have, or you can have it delivered. Since we don't have your location in your signature, we can't tell you for certain. Add in the costs for balancing. Calcium, alkalinity increaser (baking soda), pH UP (Super Washing Soda), and borates (if used) add up.

Scott

Sorry I should've mentioned.
It is a vinyl pool. I'm thinking of replacing the vinyl. It's our second year here, not sure when the vinyl was last replaced. Will this solves the problem?

Thanks.

If the water level is no longer dropping, then the leak is somewhere very near that level. Are there any spots at that level where the liner would have been cut to fit around openings for lights, returns, skimmer, steps, ect? If you could post a current picture of the pool that would be helpful.

You may want to review the policy or speak with your insurance agent, but I don't think replacement of the liner will be covered unless there is an incident that caused the liner to be damaged, such as a tree falling in the pool or vandalism. Vinyl liners are subject to wear and tear and may not be covered at all.

You did not say if there is a main drain in the floor of the deep end. If there is no main drain and you cannot see a hole or tear, then you may want to call a pool repair service and have them look for the leak.

Sorry, I missed the part about the main drain. Ohm_boy is probably right. Can you tell if the water level is continuing to drop or has it stabilized? You also had a suspected leak last fall, was it ever resolved?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got a builder who came and said I definitely need new liner.
The question that I have is now about the plastic coping. He suggested to replace it with aluminum. But I personally like to go with bricks coping. Reading from this post, vinyl-liner-and-coping-replacement-pics-added-t12297.html?hilit=Vinyl%20replacement
There seems to be an option to do so. Where can I get this vertical track receiver. Is it commonly used?

Thanks for any advise

Hi all,
I got a company that do just liners, and today I signed contract for them to do new liner and coping for $4878 on my 19x38 rectangular shape pool.
I wonder if any of you have dealt with this company:
http://www.aaalinerexperts.com/index.html
One of their main thing that got me sold is their lifetime, non prorated warranty. Any leak or issue just call them they'll fix it at no extra cost for material and no labor either. Sounded too good to be true.
I appreciate any feedback.

jovian1998 said:
Hi all,
I got a company that do just liners, and today I signed contract for them to do new liner and coping for $4878 on my 19x38 rectangular shape pool.
I wonder if any of you have dealt with this company:
http://www.aaalinerexperts.com/index.html
One of their main thing that got me sold is their lifetime, non prorated warranty. Any leak or issue just call them they'll fix it at no extra cost for material and no labor either. Sounded too good to be true.
I appreciate any feedback.

Tread carefully: http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business- ... j-27002552

Thanks for the link. I'm not very familiar with BBB ratings. But I see they got a B- which doesn't sound good. I tried to click on the complaints to see details, but they are not available.
I look at other local companies in BBB website but a lot of them are not accredited, and the rating varies too.
I would appreciate any feedback or referral to Liner & coping guys in Maryland area. Where would be a good start to look for one?
Back to http://www.aaalinerexperts.com/index.html
Anyone has any experience with them?
Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.