Conduit Requirement

Gunnert

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 1, 2012
Moving along, ready to hand the EasyTouch panel. I'm supplying 50 amps from the garage panel to the ET Sub-panel using 6awg. It's a short run, about 2 feet (more wire will be in the boxes than out). Is there a particular size conduit I'm required by code to use? I'm in Virginia.

Thanks, I "thought" I had to use 1"...

You recommend thin stranded wire, opps, I may have made a mistake. I just purchased 10' of 6/3. Each wire has about 7 wires in them. Is this ok, or will I get in trouble with the electical inspector?

Gunnert said:
Thanks, I "thought" I had to use 1"...

You recommend thin stranded wire, opps, I may have made a mistake. I just purchased 10' of 6/3. Each wire has about 7 wires in them. Is this ok, or will I get in trouble with the electical inspector?

Not sure i understand what you bought. 6/3 should have 4 wires, black, red, white, and a copper ground. Where's the seven wires??

You need individual conductors, not bundled NM wire. And, the ground wire (green), needs to be insulated. Return the 6/3 you bought and get THHN/THWN stranded wire, #6, red, black, white, green.

Bama Rambler said:
Around here you'd be fine if you bought 6/3 with ground. But you need to ask the local inspector if they allow it there.

But your in south alabama! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Around here, they'ed kill us for that. :lol: :lol: If that ground wasn't insulted connecting 2 panels, thats a red tag for sure here.
And yes, 1 inch is easier to work with. There is a 1" knockout on the box.

Question #2: Wiring the transformer in the ET. Can I double up on the breaker for the GFCI outlet on the panel (hate to waste a breaker on this low draw circuit)? If so, which wires go where, Black, Purple, and Yellow.

Like Bama said, it might be fine, but it you really need an insulted gound. Wiring ANYTHING for a pool requires the ground to be insulated.

If you go with individual conductors, you will find them on spools back in the electrical department. Just tell the guy back there you want THHN/TWHN, 6 gauge, stranded conductor wire. You want 10 feet of black, 10 feet of red, 10 feet of white, and 10 feet of green.

In you main panel, run the black and red off the 50 amp dipole breaker to the lugs in the Easytouch, run the white from the neutral bus bar in the main, to the neutral bar in the ET, and the ground from the main ground bus bar to the ground bus bar in the ET. Now your all powered up and can add breakers to the ET.

Gunnert said:
Question #2: Wiring the transformer in the ET. Can I double up on the breaker for the GFCI outlet on the panel (hate to waste a breaker on this low draw circuit)? If so, which wires go where, Black, Purple, and Yellow.

It's really not a good idea to wire the box transformer up to the GFCI plug. What i would do is get a tandem, 15 amp breaker. Use one for the outlet (use a GFI plug, no need for a GFCI breaker), and the other one for the ET box. That way you only use one breaker slot for 2 circuits. The ET box doesnt need a GFCI breaker.

For the transformer, black goes to the breaker, purple to the neutral bus, and put a wire nut on the yellow. (If you connected the transformer to 240VAC, the yellow is the other hot and the purmple gets capped off).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.