What Happened?

HIG

Mar 1, 2012
Let's see if you can solve this riddle. Pool pump operating fine in the morning...pressure cleaned patio...problems in the evening.

Here's what is happening...starting with the pump off and water calm.

The pump was turned on and water rushed into the skimmer basket like a toilet, because it apparently was very low. A couple minutes later the skimmer basket was back up to the level of the pool which was roughly 1 inch above the bottom of the skimmer basket intake. A couple minutes after that, the skimmer basket emptied again and water began rushing in like a toilet...again. As this kept happening, I noticed that the return jets (x2) seemed to operate with a similar cycle...very little return while the skimmer basket was "refilling" and then good flow while the skimmer basket was "emptying". Also, the pump pressure gauge was lower than normal.

I took out the filter cartridge, which we bought 3 weeks ago when we moved in, and cleaned it with a hose. It was the first time I've seen it (first pool) so I can't say how dirty it was relative to normal. Cleaning the filter did not solve the problem.

Do I need to call in an expert or is there something simple to try first?

Pool Info
10K gal
Screened in
Main drain is closed
Kreepy Krauly Cruiser attached to skimmer
2 return jets

HIG, welcome to TFP!
You have what is probably the easiest problem to fix. The weir on your skimmer (the little flap between the pool and the basket) is sticking, and allowing the pump to suck out all the water. Your water is also low; halfway up the skimmer is the normally recommended level. So I'd say fill up the pool to halfway and see if the weir is still sticking.

Posting anyway, even though John was faster...

Hey you guys, that was exactly my first thought as well regarding the skimmer weir and water level. I guess I'm starting to think like a pool guy! Funny thing is that while my current job has nothing to do with pools, I used to "shoot and scoot" pure chlorine gas into pools as a summer job while I was in college. I guess once a pool guy, always a pool guy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.