iAqualink and RS12?

acaciolo said:
other that the rs8 rs12 mixup, how is the iaqualink working for you? is the response time slow because of it going out over the Internet?

tony

The RS12 part is a non starter for me, I ripped it out. I have 4 actuators that are not operational with the RS8 configuration and worse yet, for some reason Aux 1-4 are remapped to B1 to B4 such that A1 and B1 actuate at the same time when you turn on A1. That could be bad for me...

Before I ripped it out, I registered and played with the interface. It's faster over the internet than the Touch is live. The interface is similar to the PDA, nothing fancy, just buttons. In fact the best part is the web interface...it's a simulation of the touch interface, only faster.

I posted a similar question a week or so ago and somehow the thread disappeared.

What I don't understand is that if the firmware board is replaced with a new common rev R board how does the system know the original number of relays. I have a RS 2/30 system and will be installing the iaqualink on the weekend. Hope it works.

I think what makes an RS12 vs. a RS8 is the expansion enclosure with 4 extra relays. I'd guess that it looks like a device on the RS485 bus and that's how the system knows it's a RS12. At least that's how I would have designed it. Maybe that expansion module needs a new firmware or motherboard.

One thing that folks upgrading should note is that the upgrade wiped the memory of the system. I'm glad I wrote most of the assignments and scheduled programs down.

I have a Rev Q RS 2/30. To utilize all these outputs I have a couple of auxiliary boards of 8 relays each which I haven't wired up yet. The system as I use it now is 8 wired relays and 8 virtual relays which drive actuators and run the intelliflos at various speeds. I'm away now back back tomorrow so hopefully in about 24 hrs I'll know exactly what this upgrade can do.

Spoke with tech support. They said if you are using something more advanced than an RS8, you are required to send in the CPU/Firmware module for upgrading via the dealer you purchased from.

I can't send it in myself, and they don't have an exchange program. So I guess I'm sending the iAqualink back, or will try to resell it to someone with an RS8.

Thanks for the info. This is a real pain. I'm in Australia so it will be weeks before I will be able to get this to work. One good thing is that I have a spare RS 2/22 firmware that I bought cheap on eBay.

I'm wondering if there is any way to daisy-chain the little network to serial converter that allows the iAquaLink to use the Internet off of the cable used for the remote touch panel? Two controls... one cable run. Seems doubtful, but I'm going to have a hassel getting a wireless signal out to where my RS8 is located. Not impossible... but it'll be a pain. It would be a lot easier to install this next to my OneTouch in my house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I daisy chained the iAqualink with the touch and noticed that the touchscreen had a minor flicker. My wire run is about 150ft and it appears that the touch transformer needs to be a bit larger to drive both the touch and iAqualink. To fix this I powered the iAqualink rs 485 red and green terminals with an additional transformer.

By the way the iAqualink works great once I reconfigured the system to run as a RS 8 P&S. Pity I've got to pull it apart again and send the chip back to the US.

I now have a Rev R RS2/30 chip and the system is again operational. Jandy reflashed the firmware within a day or two.

The iAqualink is great but the purchase and upgrade process is a pain. The chip must go back to the retailer and cannot be sent direct to zodiac. I'm very happy with the service that I received from Polytec Pools in handling this process in a timely manner.

The original dealer in Austin for our system has left us on our own to solve the problem - for a $3K system. I would avoid superior pools. I'll admit I didn't buy the aqualink from them, but we purchased over 10K in jandy equipment and they are refusing to help get the firmware upgrade. Something else is going on. The company we did buy it from was a vendor via amazon, and they have stopped responding to my emails.

Live and learn I guess...

By default the iAquaLink kits (IQ900 and IQ900-RS) are RS8 Pool and Spa Combo systems. Some cases, the dealer that's installing it will have it flashed before coming out and installing. If not done through a dealer, it needs to be brought in to a local dealer to have sent to us for flashing. We will flash it and send it out next day air.

When we WERE working directly with the home owner, some home owner's weren't following directions or refused to and therefore we now only work directly through the installer or dealer.

BlazeRegulator said:
By default the iAquaLink kits (IQ900 and IQ900-RS) are RS8 Pool and Spa Combo systems. Some cases, the dealer that's installing it will have it flashed before coming out and installing. If not done through a dealer, it needs to be brought in to a local dealer to have sent to us for flashing. We will flash it and send it out next day air.

When we WERE working directly with the home owner, some home owner's weren't following directions or refused to and therefore we now only work directly through the installer or dealer.

Thanks for the transparency into the situation. Please send a note to the marketing guys to CLEARLY state that this is only for RS8 units would have saved me burning a few days of my life.

Wow...disappointing that Zodiac won't deal with individual buyers directly. I hate having to work with my local dealers.....too much markup and not enough information. I stopped talking to my pool builder the instant my warranty expired.

Re: iAqualink and RS8

I can't believe that Zodiac won't help individual pool owners. Most of the pool companies I have run into don't know what day it is. If Zodiac isn't going to help pool owners, then they need to control the distribution of their product. I have a problem with rs8 in which 4-8 aux lights come on and won't turn off without a reset...All I could get from support line is that installer has to add an additional part! would not tell me what the part is and no where can I find documentation of this issue? This would be a great product and they would sell more units if they could support it and the home owner. I would NOT recommend that anyone buy one unless you are ok with the gamble of your investment or plan on using a licensed pool dealer...The website says that it "SHOULD" be installed by a professional, but doesn't say the won't support home owners who are qualified to do their own install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.