Trees mating in my pool

George N

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2011
New Caney, Texas
For the past week the oak tree pollen has been heavy here and I skim the pool twice a day.

When I first started reading on this forum and Pool School I read a post about using a knee high stocking on the skimmer basket.

I asked the lady at Wally World where they were and she showed me with a puzzled look on her face. I told her I needed an extra large, she looked at my legs and said I think they will be too big. I laughed and said they were for my pool skimmer. That got another puzzled look.

Well I must say I’m glad I read that post as the last three days the tree pollen has been very heavy and the stocking really helps.

In heavy times I always got leaves and seed pod flower thingies :roll: in my pool, I made sure just to treat with just a very small dosing of Polyquat 60 about 2-3 oz bi-weekly, and of course keeping FC within proper range! :goodjob:
I went all season with a perfect pool!
I'm just now getting stuff and dig site ready for my new rebuilt PRINCETON 21' for the new year! I'm really excited about that.
It really sucked watching me drain my perfect water out the storm drain... :cry: that really hurt, in the past the pool store had it messed up so much, it used to not hurt at all!

Chuck

I've noticed that the knee-highs don't tend to last quite as long as the skimmer socks do. They are cheaper though so replacing them every couple of weeks is no big deal. I can't imagine a spring without something extra like that to cut pollen though.

@ chuck; I've been looking at the Waterway 1HP-22" Sand filter ever since I had to cancel the order on the Intex 2650 sand filter due to seller having on back order. How do you like it and have you had any problems with it? I know it’s big but my daughter wants a bigger pool and I’ll most likely get one next spring.

@ 257WbyMag; we don’t have a pool store close by and I couldn’t find any at Wally World but I'll look at skimmer socks this weekend.

@ numberonenole; I promise she nor anyone else will ever see me in those :) LOL

As a note my pool water is clean and I brush it at least 3 times a week, my FC has never been allowed to drop below 2ppm, is there really any need for me to add the polly?

Hi George,
Oh yeah, I forgot... sorry got a little busy at the end of the week!
I love my Waterway sand filter setup. :-D
I bought it used off of Craigs List for $90, :shock: a 1 HP single speed with the 22" sand filter. The motor had a bad end bearing, :roll: a few hours and $10 at Miller Bearing fixed that, the pump did have weak pressure so I took the wet end apart and found out someone had it apart and the diffuser was missing, so ordered one online with a new impeller, wet seal, and o-rings and overhauled it one evening.
Since then no problems, runs about 11 psi now up from 7 1/2, water clarity is really nice and I think its on par with a cartridge filter. Not like a DE filter, but I love the backflush feature of my sand filter.
I can vacuum twice a week for about a month, then a 5-7 minute backflush and 1 1/2 minute rinse and back online. So easy compared to my hottub cartridge filter.
I ran my pump about 6-9 hours a day during the summer and no problem keeping up, I think it's because the 22" is plenty on my 15' X 48" Intex.
Just took it down recently and bought a used 21' round "PRINCETON" steel wall made by Swin'N'Play off craigs list for $200 if I took it down, all of the the bottom rails were gone and a few of the top rails. Liner is fine but the pool owner over did it and bleached it out, so I ordered a new 72" expandable liner and working to dig to 6' feet deep center.
Hoping to have it up in the next month or so. :cool:
What concerns do you have?

George,

Oh, I did have a problem with the overhang Intex skimmer.
I cut out the stock Intex fittings and installed the Hayward through wall fittings (1 1/2 ).
I did have a problem of too much suction with the new pump system, so I drilled some holes into the fitting, this worked fine until I did go ahead and install the Hayward skimmer for above ground pools. These mods I did are posted here... my posts start at the bottom of page one.
Read all the way through, some of my posts are later in the post.
custom-pvc-pipe-adapter-for-intex-pools-t28971.html

Oh I did go down on the size of the eyeball return size, 3/4 I think from the 1" originally.
Chuck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.