Pool, In-Floor, Low Speed, etc., Running Times

RAILhead

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 25, 2012
South Texas
Hey all!

My installer setup a default schedule for the pool pumps to cycle, and I thought I'd bounce it off you guys to get your opinions. I don't know what my GPM is, unfortunately. Anyway, here's the schedule:

7:00am to 5:00pm -- Pool Mode (2400rpm)
5:00pm to 1:00am -- Low Speed (1750rpm)
1:00am to 5:00am -- In-Flor runs (3000rpm)
5:00am to 7:00am -- Low Speed again

Thoughts? Too much? Overkill?

The pool, so far, remains clear and bright -- but I thought I'd check with you guys! :)

That seems like a lot of time in pool mode. I think you could cut that down to 2 or three hours unless there's some reason it runs during the day.
Low speed seems too high. I think it could run about 1000 to 1200 rpm unless you need that speed to maintain a flow for a swcg, etc.
The in-floor cleaning time seems a little too long but that's something you'd have to play with to see if it keeps the pool clean with a shorter run time.

The best thing to do is play with the speeds and times to see what works for you. There's an article in Pool School that helps figure out run times, though not specifically for VS pumps.

I agree with Bama. That is way too much run time.

I would combine the in-floor runs with the pool since the in-floor needs fairly high RPM. Even under the worst plumbing, your in-floor RPM would deliver close to 64 GPM which is less than an 2 hour turnover. So technically, that may be all the filtering you need for the day. The rest can be at 1000 RPM but that is just for circulation. Did you determine the in-floor RPM by trial and error?

If you want a rough estimate on flow rates, you can use these depending on your plumbing configuration:

Variable Speed Pump Flow Rate Approximations

The following formulas use the affinity equations to yield a very rough estimate of flow rate.

1.5" Return Line with 1 x 1.5" Suction Line:
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 47
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0167 * GPM^2 - CEC Curve A

1.5" Return Line with 2 x 1.5" Suction Lines or 1 x 2" Suction Line
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 44
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0140 * GPM^2

2" Return Line with 1 x 2" Suction Line
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 37
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0093 * GPM^2

2" Return Line with 2 x 2" Suction Lines or 1 x 2.5" Suction Line
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 35
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0083 * GPM^2 - CEC Curve C

2.5" Return Line with 1 x 2.5" Suction Line
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 34
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0074 * GPM^2

2.5" Return Line with 2 x 2.5" Suction Lines
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 33
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0069 * GPM^2

Gotcha. Maybe I'll try:

1:00am to 4:00am -- Pool Mode
1:00am to 4:00am -- In-Floor (and see if that's still too long)
4:00am to 1:00am -- Low Speed

OR, are you guys saying I don't even need Low Speed running that long? I was thinking constant circulation would be best, but I'm at the total mercy of our pool guy until I learn from ya'll! :)

Mark, the flow rates were set by the pool tech. I'll get the plumbing info from my guy and see if I can figure out the formulas...

I would run the in-floor cycle early in the day before you think anyone is going to swim just to get a little circulation while the sun is on the pool. Then you can run low speed while people are swimming scheduled and/or manual. Some of this is going to be trial an error to see what you actually need to keep the floor clean as well as the water.

Your flow rate is probably around RPM / 35 but the in-floors most likely reduce it some. What is the difference in filter pressure at 3000 RPM between pool mode vs in-floor mode?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.