Pool Liner Replacement

Hi all,
Starting off...love the website...I spend hours on end reading and learning...enough to aggravate the wife!

Getting estimates now on replacing the liner in my 14,000 gallon IG pool. Seems like prices are all over the place...from approx $1,700 for a 20 ml to $3,800 for a 28 ml liner. I know cheaper isnt always better, but what should the liner replacement include?
I have a single main drain so I'm told that has to be replaced per code, but what else should be included? Are there anything else I need to check on during the process? I'm also noticing that mainly everybody in this area uses either GLI inground vinyl liners or the Duo Max/Super Max liners (not sure of brand...not on brochure). Are they pretty much the same or is one better than the other? The Duo/Super Max liners do mention UV protection. Then theres the question of ml thickness....there is 20 ml, 27/20 ml, 27/27 ml, and 28 ml. I've been told by some installers: go with 20 or 27/20...more plyable, less problem with wrinkles; and some say go with 27/27 or m28 ml....sturdier, lasts longer. Don't know who to believe!

Income tax money is in so I'm ready to move on this...can you guys shed some light?

The normal recommendation around here is not to spend money on the thicker liner. It's not needed and as long as the prep is done correctly there won't be any difference in longivity.

They are right about the main drain having to be redone.

All liners should have UV protection. You can call the mfg and I'm sure they'll tell you whether they do or not. My bet is that they all do. Virgin vinyl doesn't do well in the sun.

Can you find out what the brand and thickness of the current liner is? Have you been happy with it's performance? As far as pliability goes, it is best to install the liner in warm, sunny weather. The heat is what makes it more pliable. Thickness shouldn't matter as far as wrinkles go. A good installer knows how to do a professional job and get the wrinkles out.

The installer may do an inspection and let you know if anything else needs attention; if the floor needs resurfacing, walls have russt or corrosion, cracks in steps, problems with fittings or coping.

Ask the installer to give you a written estimate of what all is included in the price so you can compare apples to apples.

I don't know if any one brand is better than another, but someone should be along soon to give more information.

Great! I will go with the 20 mil floor Asking 3, of the multitude of companies I called, to provide a written estimate, and referrals. Will be making a decision this week. Will post pics along with progress. Am I wrong to assume that face places and gaskets will be part of the liner replacement or is that something I must cover?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.