Removing salt cell to clean build up.

Jan 5, 2008
Geelong Australia
Hi there

Another newbie question to make sure I do no damage before I embark on new territory. I've notice there is a fair amount of white build up on one of the connecting tangs (for want of better or correct terminology) on the salt cell. The one closest to me, looking at the power lead cap end on the left is perfectly clean.

There are two of these tangs that come from the end of the cell that is obviously connected to power (has a power lead going through the end cap)and they connect to larger flat plates that sit vertically in the perspex tube.

OK: do I undo the one with the power lead which then exposes where this power lead connects, disconnect the power lead, somehow and then remove the cell, carefully?

I'll then go to the pool shop and purchase some salt cell cleaner and follow the directions. My salt chlorinator system is supposed to be self-cleaning and the frequency is set to about 3/4 of the way towards HIGH.

Is something not set correctly or do they normally have this white build up over a period of time anyway.

Its a Questachlor Xtra.

Thanks and hi from Australia :)

Calcium buildup tends to happen when your chemistry is out of balance. If you could post a full set of test numbers we should be able to give you some advice on how to improve your water chemistry.

When calcium does buildup on the cell you can remove it by soaking the cell in a dilute solution of muriatic acid. There should be directions for doing this in your manual.

I have never seen a Questa Questachlor-Xtra. If it is similar to the Certikin then you turn the power off, disconnect the cable from the cell assembly, open the closing nut, remove the electrode holder, and then pull the electrode assembly out of the case.

Hi there

Thanks again. Can't be too hard I'll give it a go today and post back. Just been to the pool shop (asked them about the cell but they aren't familiar with the model either) and purchased a proprietary salt cell cleaning solution which I mix 250ml to 2.5 litres of water and soak the cell for 10 minutes. Hose off with clean water and re-install.

Found this link though: http://www.parklandspools.com.au/manuals/questa3.pdf

Cheers

Hi there

Jobs done! Wasn't too difficult except removing the salt cell from the actual plastic housing needed great care. The surrounds (rubber or plastic supports surrounding the plates) were tight against the inside of the housing, so I needed to ease it out gently using a push/pull method.

Soaked the cell for a few minutes and used a soft nylon brush to brush off any residue, which came away very easily. Rinsed it well in fresh water and re-installed!

Thanks for everyones help :)

Are there any guides that explain how a salt chlorinator works. I would be interested to learn more.

Cheers

Chem Geek wrote a technical description of how a SWG works in this post, search for the "Salt (SWG) Pool" section.

Very briefly, salt is sodium chloride, and chloride is chlorine in it's inactive state. The cell oxidizes the chlorine, which turns it active again. When the chlorine gets "used up" disinfecting the pool it turns back into chloride and is available to be used again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.