Gunite Curing Time

HouTex

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, Texas
The recent shotcrete curing thread and the one about possible calcium nodules has me concerned.

Gunite was applied to my pool in mid August 2011, but because the delay caused by my PB (I eventually had to fire him and finish the pool on my own) the gunite was exposed until early December 2011 when the plaster was finally applied.

Was that too long? Could that cause a problem with the plaster not bonding to the surface of the gunite?

I followed the advice on keeping the gunite wet for the first couple of weeks.

I have some of the so-called white spot etching and I noticed a small sized depression (about the diameter of a nickel and about a quarter inch deep) in the luna quartz surface of the spa. I also may have the white calcium nodules in a few spots. But otherwise, my plaster job looks normal and I'm generally satisfied.

Any thoughts?

The period of time from shooting till you put your finish on is not excessive. As long as the shell's surface was moistened before the application and filled, you should be good.

That being said, given that you are in an area where a significant calcium level is present in the water used, the presence of a nodule should not come as a big surprise. The etching may be suspect and the small sized depression also, but without a picture showing it, I don't know that we can certain. Have you mentioned this to anyone else, like the applicator?

Scott

The etching, yes. He inspected the plaster job last summer and offered to do a no drain acid wash for $500. I passed on that. At the time I didn't notice any nodules (there are only a few now) or the depression in the spa at the time.

PoolGuyNJ said:
The period of time from shooting till you put your finish on is not excessive. As long as the shell's surface was moistened before the application and filled, you should be good.

That being said, given that you are in an area where a significant calcium level is present in the water used, the presence of a nodule should not come as a big surprise. The etching may be suspect and the small sized depression also, but without a picture showing it, I don't know that we can certain. Have you mentioned this to anyone else, like the applicator?

Scott

Agreed ask the applicator - my only comment would was it clean (power washed) before plaster
Chris
www.shotcrete.us

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.