Anyone else thinking about opening?

BadOleRoss

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2011
Lynchburg VA
It has been a pretty warm winter here in Virginia. Today, the high temp is going to be in the low 60s, mid 60s tomorrow. I am giving some serious thought to uncovering the pool and getting things started. I am worried that with this warm weather I am going to have an algae festival under my pool cover. At least with it up and running and can see whats going on!

Odd to see this. We've got plans for a new pump and solar heater this year. Even though they're calling for snow soon I too am planning on an early opening. I'm looking at mid-April however. About a month early.

I already know we've got green. I pulled back the cover some and could see a green bottom. At least I could see the bottom though.

I've contemplated doing this as well.
Our mild winter with lots of rain has probably thrown my numbers way off, and I like you, don't want to open to something that swamp thing would live in.
I may hold off til mid March and see how the water looks and see if I can make it to April.

Took my cover off 2/23. Just got my pool in late August last year and I couldn't wait to see what it looked like. Used a mesh cover to let rain through and have to say I'm pleased. A few worms and a few leaves blew under but wated was clear and no green. Vacuumed and ran filter and everything looks fine. Shut down at shock level and covered it up and everything looks good. Had my pump set to come on at 35F to keep everything from freezing and this winter it didn't run much at all. Today temp was up to 68 and pool temp got to 55. Added 40lbs of salt today because it was down to 2900ppm. Can't wait until warm weather.

It is supposed to rain all day here tomorrow but I will get out there anyway and smash my face against the mesh cover and see what things look like. I will need to go to Sam's and get some bleach before I uncover it anyway. I will be nice when the warm weather gets here and everyone comes back to the forum to visit.

BadOleRoss said:
It is supposed to rain all day here tomorrow but I will get out there anyway and smash my face against the mesh cover and see what things look like. I will need to go to Sam's and get some bleach before I uncover it anyway. I will be nice when the warm weather gets here and everyone comes back to the forum to visit.

Why smash your face against it?
I have a mesh cover as well, but I just unhook a corner and pull it back to look at the pool. That way I get a much better view of whats going on, and it also allows me to take a water sample to test where i'm at. But i've also had to do this to drain my pool 3 or so times already. It's probably due for another drain after today.

Smashing my face against the cover lets me see what going on. There really is no need for me to take a water sample because I am not prepared to turn on the pumps or add anything to the water to correct any issues. In all the years I have had my pool I have never had to drain water off during the winter, when I open it the levels are a little high but after I vacuum to waste to lean things up I usually end up having to add water. It rained pretty hard my entire day off so I never did get a look at the pool.....maybe today.

Well, popped the corner off to take a loot at the pool and other then a little debris and some worms on the bottom of the pool everything looks good. Water is still crystal clear. With the weather averaging out to the low 50s for the next week I think I am going to drag my feet a little longer on the opening. I did go online and order more testing supplies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Im in Virginia too, and although it was 70 here today, the water in the pool is just inching up past 40...way too cold for algae to grow. I'm open due a cover failure, and the mild winter convinced me not to wrestle the cover. I'm thinking of topping off to get a head start on getting the pool clean...but I'll probably wait too. I have a swg to buy and install, so I'll wait till then.

timdog said:
Im in Virginia too, and although it was 70 here today, the water in the pool is just inching up past 40...way too cold for algae to grow. I'm open due a cover failure, and the mild winter convinced me not to wrestle the cover. I'm thinking of topping off to get a head start on getting the pool clean...but I'll probably wait too. I have a swg to buy and install, so I'll wait till then.

Good to hear the water temps are still low. I'll drag my feet another week or 2 and monitor the situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.