Cold Weather Care

I would like to know how much care should a pool with spa be getting over the winter months...

I was very luck and found a house to rent with the pool listed in my signature. I have been here since Oct 2011 and it comes with pool service. I live in an area in the SanFrancisco Bay Area so we do not get snow and in the winter, daytime temps area usually in the 50's-60's and night time can go 30's-40's. I have never tested the water until recently (because that is the pool guys job). The pool has some automation with the filtration and I even have a remote (Goldline controls AQL2-POD). This nice little controller tells me many things including salt level. One day it went from 2800 down to 2100. There was no water spraying everywhere so I did call the pool guy to give him a heads up. I do know that the cell can read wrong when it needs cleaned. He of course was not all that concerned with it and mentioned that it was wrong and left it at that. He came the next day (normal scheduled day) and nothing changed. So the following week, I decided to see what the salt level was and purchased test strips for the salt and I found it to be around 1800, then I tested again, got the same result. I then took a sample to the pool store and they got the same result. I did purchase 80# of salt and placed it in the pool. Now testing around 2500.

pH - 7.8-8.0 range
TA - 120
Cl - 3

Those are all the tests I can do at this time. I did order the TF100 so I can become more acquainted with my pool :wink:

I realize winter does not require much care, but we do use the Spa from time to time. It is only heated when we use it, otherwise the water from the pool and the Spa are connected with main filtration.

Thanks for your responses in advance!

The amount of care you have to give it all depends on whether it's winterized (which yours isn't) and how warm the water is (warmer water requires more chems).

If you're using the spa on a regular basis you need to maintain the pool and spa to keep it sanitary. Once you get the test lit oyu can post a set of test results and we can tell you what you need to do. It would be a good idea to get familiar with the Pool Calculator. It's a valuable resource.

I just received my test kit yesterday and completed a full set of tests (after work) and here are the results.

FC - 6
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.8
TA - 110
CH - 480
CYA - 50
Temp - 54 deg

I do see that the CH is a bit high at 480 and the only way to change it is to do a water change? The Pool Calculator says about 35% to get it down to 350. I was told by the owner to never drain the pool. I wouldn't even know how to anyway. (Tap Water has 110 ppm CH)

I do see that the pool needs to be shocked and the TA could be a bit lower.

Should I get pH down to about 7.2 and aerate to get TA down, then shock it or should I just Shock it? :?

BTW, that Magnetic SpeedStir is AWESOME! :whoot:

I do see that the pool needs to be shocked
How does your water look? If it's really sparkling, I see no need to shock based on your test results.

Your pH will almost surely tend to rise with the SWG, so I would plan on lowering the pH in the near future. Your TA will come down when you do that but perhaps not enough to get in that lower TA range for SWG's.

You could retest TA and then decide to lower it further (through aeration) after you get your pH down to 7.4 or so.

Your CH is a bit high but manageable. Keeping your pH down in the lower 7's will make that CH virtually irrelevant but you could also do a series of drain and refills to lower CH if you like. I probably would (if water isn't sky high) to get it down to around 250

Yes, my water has a nice sparkle to it. Just used the hot tub on Friday :)

I don't know what my water rates are right now. I'm currently at work. I may have some Calcium scale around my spa spillover to pool. That is where I can see it the most. At least that is what I think it is. It was there prior to moving in. I can attach a pic later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.