check salt and check cell lights flashing on Aqua Rite

Feb 27, 2012
I am having issues with my Aqua Rite SWG and or my T-15 Hayward salt cell. About 5 days ago I returned home from a business trip and noticed that my pool was beginning to look cloudy and upon inspection I found a light layer of green algae forming on the pool walls, steps, ladder ect. I went to my Aqua Rite box and looked to see what it was reading. When the system came and flow was established, the "check salt" and the "check cell" lights both flashed continuosly. I reset the check cell light by holding down diagnostic button. The check salt never stopped flashing. The salt readout on the digital display was 2300. I caught a water sample and removed my salt cell to have it tested at pool store (Leslies). The salt test showed my level at 3400 and the cell tested out fine with Leslie's saying there was nothing wrong with it. I was told I needed to add 25 pounds of baking soda because alkalinity was off, 45 pounds of hardner, and there was no chlorine in pool so I needed to add 6 pounds of Chloro-Brite to shock it. I also added some type of algae remover/preventer that they sold. It took about 3 days to get everything added and pool cleaned up. I scrubbed/brushed pool and vacuumed it to remove algae and residue that fell out daily. Once I got chemicals lined out and algae removed I tried to run Aqua Rite system again. I set the switch to super chlorinate and it ran fine last night with no lights flashing. I turned it on manually today to recheck it and once again the check salt and check cell light are back on flashing when you try to run the system in normal mode with dial set at desired chlorine production rate.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I was sure my cell was bad but now I don't know what to look for. Is the Aqua Rite electrical box gone bad or something. It has power to it and it will display everything it is suppose to. I cannot find the manual for it. It is only 3 years old so can't imagine it would already be gone out. With Leslies saying that the cell is ok, it appears as if the Aqua Rite isn't reading the salt level properly and therefore isn't generating chlorine. I'm not sure exactly what the water temp is right now but I saw on here that the cell wouldn't generate when water temp was below a certain level. I wasn't sure if when this happened that the lights I have flashing would occur? I am new to this salt water system stuff and greatly appreciate any info you can pass on. The company that installed my pool did not explain this system or equipment at all so now I'm having to learn how to troubleshoot it.

for some reason the cell is reading the salt too low and this is why you are getting check salt and no chlorine generated.

what size cell do you have? is it 3 years old? also do you keep it clean?

are you running a variable speed pump?

bigD0203 said:
T-15 Cell, yes cell is probably 3 1/2 years old, yes cell is clean, not sure on pump.

we found that running a pump low rpm the cell would read lower salt. but you would know if you had a variable speed pump.

my guess is the cell needs replacement. I don't know how they test the cells but sounds like its the cell on its way out. do you have a spare cell you could swap out and test with? maybe borrow a friends? as warranty is only for 3 years you might as well get a back up cell cause the cell will go anyway one day. I would go with the Compupool T15 replacement. its see through so you can inspect the cell without taking it down and it's cheaper than the Hayward t15 replacement cell.

I am having the same problem with the check cell and check salt lights (my lights do not flash they stay on). The cell was replaced four months ago and so when these lights showed, I cleaned the cell twice. However, the LCD lights are still on! I'm very frustrated!

The clean cell light comes on when there is build up on the plates AND every three months as a reminder to check the cell. You should be able to hold down the diagnostic button to clear the check cell light. If it doesn't go out, you may have a bigger problem.
What is your salt level? If it's over 2600-2700 the check salt level may be related to the check cell light. It could mean your cell is failing but surely not if it's only four months old.
I hope your solution is this simple.

I was told the salt level should be between 2800-3200. The salt level is currently 3200 and all other levels are within range. I was told by Leslies' that it is possible the electrical box may need to be replaced. I was also informed that sometimes, after the cell is replaced you my also have to replace the electrical box as well.

Also, is it possible to bypass the salt water system and return to a regular chlorine pool?

No dice with the diagnostic button reset?

There are several posts for fixing circuit boards on this site. It's a $10 cost compared to a several hundred dollar cost. I resoldered my circuit board having never done it before and saved myself about $400. Very much worth reading up on if you ask me.

You can absolutely switch to chlorine. Just figure out how much you need (test and pool math) and add it to the pool (in front of a return). Nothing to it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am having a similar issue. Check Cell Light blinks as well as the Low Salt light. The check cell light can be shut off by holding the diagnostic button for 3-sec (comes back on next time pump/system is started). The display reads a salt level of 2600 but it is actually 3200 verified twice by pool store.

The Salt generator cell was checked at Pool Store and no errors.
The entire system board was replaced last summer and is less than one year old.

Any other thoughts on how to have the system recalibrate itself or other troubleshooting I can do ?

Was this issue ever solved? I am having the exact same problem. Salt level reads 2300, tests fine. I had the system and cell tested at the pool store and it was fine still get the Check salt light and system will not generate. This only the second year for all my equipment. Not sure what the issue could be...

I am having a similar issue. Check Cell Light blinks as well as the Low Salt light. The check cell light can be shut off by holding the diagnostic button for 3-sec (comes back on next time pump/system is started). The display reads a salt level of 2600 but it is actually 3200 verified twice by pool store.

The Salt generator cell was checked at Pool Store and no errors.
The entire system board was replaced last summer and is less than one year old.

Any other thoughts on how to have the system recalibrate itself or other troubleshooting I can do ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.