Time for a new salt cell and motherboard?

Feb 26, 2012
Houston, TX
Long story short:
We bought a house with a 10K gallon pool in the back - installed 2006. It has a Jandy AquaPure 1400 salt cell system. It hasn't been producing chlorine and throwing codes - 121, 175, 182. Being that I'm new to pool ownership, I had a service guy from the company that installed the pool come out to look at it. He said that the cell is at the end of its lifespan. Suggested I buy a new cell, sensor, and power system...basically, all new parts. I asked why I couldn't just get a new cell and sensor, and he said that often times, the bad cell and sensor will throw the power system off, and you end up having to buy one of those too.

Any comments or suggestions? If I do need to buy all this shtuff, would I be well served to try and get all 3 separately, or buy the whole system?

Thanks in advance for your help

First off, I think your pool service guy is just trying to get an upsell for a new system. It might make sense to upgrade the entire system, but not for the reasons he mentioned...

Do you have a 2-port of 3-port system? If you have the 2-port (older) system, you will need to buy one of the 3-port kits (which is close to the same price as a brand new system). If this is the case, you might as well replace everything. If you already have a 3-port system, just replacing the cell will be fine.

To determine which system you have, you can look at this image...
http://www.polytecpools.com/images/chlo ... update.jpg

The 2-port system will have the flow sensor plumbed off on the side of the regular plumbing.
The new 3-port cell with have the flow sensor directly into the cell.

Hope this helps!

Thanks fo rthe speedy reply! I do have the older 2 port system, and I can't find those anywhere even if I did want to use that, so I've been shopping for the 3 port cell and sensor. Then he told me I should go ahead and get the new power system too while I'm at it. I don't think he's in it for the commission though, because he suggested I buy it online and call him when I get it and he can install it for me.

Unless it's relatively easy to install....?

Well that's good to hear! As far as installation, it will depend on your comfort level with plumbing. The electrical should be pretty basic to rewire, but some plumbing modifications will be required with the new unit. Nothing drastic, so I am pretty sure you could handle it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.