Pool Paint

Feb 27, 2012
Hello all, this is my first post here, so please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, I did my best to search but have not been able to find anything. I have 30 yr old gunite pool in dire need of resurfacing. My wife and I bought the house two years as a foreclosure and the pool appears to have been painted with an acrylic based paint approx 5-7 years ago, I'm simply guessing by the current appearence. There are some minor pits and peelings, however the staining and degree of paint chaulk renders the dire need of resurfacing. Last year included a constant struggle to keep algae out of the pool but by the end of the season it was nearly impossible as the pourous exposed plaster was a feeeding ground.

I have done a lot of research, however I am unable to find any specific reviews for products used. I have spoken to one local contractor who would used a Ramuc Acrylic based paint. I have looked at the poly one-coat, armor guard, lifeguard, etc.. I do want to avoid epoxy coatings based on what I have read. When our budget allows, we will be paying some major attention to the pool with a more professional approach such as a re-plaster and or pebble tech method. However in the meantime, I intend on painting the pool this coming spring.

I will be hiring a pool professional to drain the pool, as I have no experience doing same and I'm not interested in taking that risk. I understand the surface preparation is 95% of the job and plays a huge role in the durability of the finish product. I'm looking for advice from you as to what paint brand / product you have used, if you recomend one brand over the other. I have been unable to find any user reviews and looking for any comments you can supply me with. I appreciate you taking the time.

I have not used it personally, but I have heard good things about Ramuc paints. The Ramuc Chlorinated Rubber paint might be a good fit for your needs. It can be applied via roller or airless sprayer (but if you rent a sprayer, you better make sure to clean it our really, REALLY well before returning it.)

What state do you live in? Different states have different regulation limitations for that particular paint.

Like I said, I am only going off what I have heard about paints. If anyone else has a different suggestion - I am as eager to hear it as nguard!

We have used Tnemec brand paints for 30 years both rubber based and epoxy have been very satisfied with the results of the epoxy. Surface preparation is 100% of the battle if you don't prepare it right no finish will last or look good.

I just want to be sure that you understand the painting is really a band-aid fix. The treatment really needs to be replastering eventually. I have also seen folks here that figured out that the cost involved in painting (that pool paint costs $$$ per gallon) were really not much better than a replaster job. I would price it out and compare just to be certain.

I have a 32000 gallon pool, I have $3,000.00....I either open the pool this year and paint it, or keep it closed until i save enough for a plaster job. I have no intentions on getting a $3000.00 plaster job, THAT would be a band aid...

Attachments

• 270345_2017617754702_1071607554_2190321_7261587_a.jpg
    270345_2017617754702_1071607554_2190321_7261587_a.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 706
Swimming with ugly/rough plaster is an option, right?? It is the best one for your situation, in my opinion. Your issues with algae are not related to your rough surface, but are a result of not enough chlorine (this is always the problem).

I agree with 257; paint is a bandaid and really isn't worth it.

I got a great deal online with Ramuc's Aqualuster. I'm currently in the process of painting and so far so good, I'd be happy if i can get 3-4 yrs... either your paitning, re-plastering or replacing your liner.... I'm OK with painting and around here (North East usa) it's pretty much the norm.... Hopefully we"ll be able to afford a major pool reno at some point, but until then, I'm OK with paint....

Why did you decide on the Aqualuste and how do you like it? From what I've read the acrylics only last about 2-3 years but much easier to put on .. I'm just about done power washing so got the old paint off and its don't to concrete in most areas. I'm patching a few cracks and then painting ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I decided to go with the aqualuster based on a good deal I was able to secure (approx $65/gallon)... I bought twenty gallons but was able to do 4 coats with only 8-9 gallons... The aqualuster literature indiates the life expectancy is 4-5 years, a few years greater than the other acrylics I researched. I went with the acrylic based on the ease of application and because the previous owner had used a rubber based pool paint, the acrylic can be applied to damp surfaces etc... I must admit however, I will paintying again next spring, I do have some blisters in areas where I applied my final coat heavy, such as the stairs. I was told by a local Ramuc dealer that I only needed 3 dry days, however I wish I had waited a few more days. The hyrdostatic valve in my pool was filled with concrete by someone who had done previous work on the pool, so I was nervous as my pool had been comp[letly empty for a few weeks (we had a long spell of rainy days)... So needless to say, overal happy with the product, however I have never used anything else, I would hold strong on the 5 dry days and not worry so much about getting thick coats, instead more coats, maybe a lighter application... I was VERY dissapointed when the blisters first appeared but figured that is what I get for putting lipstick on a pig (ie..not replastering) I can't complain considering the cost of the paint vs the replaster...

My pool has gone thru 9 seasons. Salt water. The plaster is developing some rough edges and I am not sure of the cost of replastering vs painting. It sounds from above that paint is a temporary fix and eventually one must replaster. My pool is 18K gallons and about 1200 SF of walls and bottom. What budget # could I expect for thsi work, I live in Boston.

The costs are considerably cheaper, if I had hired someone to plaster I was looking at approx 20k (pool is 36k gallons) If I hired someone to paint (Ramuc dealer) I would have been looking at approx $3500.00. I painted it myself, spent approx $500.00 on the paint, however it took me a few weeks due to waiting for dry weather and waiting for the paint to dry, which I failed as miserably as I have to do it again next spring.... My advise would be to let it dry a few more days than the manufacturer suggests, I"ll also be spot prming this time around to help with the adherence. Epoxy gets some really good reviews, costs a bit more that acrylic but I hear the life of the Epoxy is pretty good. However, I'm glad I didn't go that route, had I had the blistering issue with Epoxy, it would be a nightmare to fix....good luck!

Ramuc is terrible. I got sold on the hype. After extensive research our PB prepped correctly, waited X days of dryness, etc, etc. I am picky and researched the entire process... and it was done right. We used the Ramuc Hi-Build Epoxy. Only 3 years later it's a chalky mess. Who knows how they stay in business? I feel it's up to people like me come forward. Our location us US Virgin Islands ~ about 85 degrees all year.

Also, we waited more than 5 days to dry before application. And after year 2 plenty (100's) of blisters developed all over pool. Do not fall for the Ramuc hype! I challenge other Ramuc users to come forward with their stories. Please no name calling, just the facts of your experience.

FYI: I spent days on this forum 3 years ago.

wanderer,

I am not sure your Ramuc experience is much different than other pool painting projects. Time and time again, the forum hears reports of short life spans for paint jobs....doesn't matter if it's Ramuc or not.......none of them seem to have any longevity.

Blasting one paint manufacturer might make others think that Ramuc is the only one that's bad. The reports we hear year after year on this forum is the NONE of them seem to hold up very long.

None of the TFP experts or Mods would ever suggest you can get long term use out of painting a pool and the brand seems to have nothing to do with it.

Thanks for clearing that up Dave. I agree most epoxies are likely the same. I can only speak about my personal factual experience, which was with Ramuc. They stated it would last perhaps 8 years... http://www.ramucpoolpaint.com/faq.asp?faqID=22

Q: How long will Ramuc products last before I need to repaint again?
A: In a backyard setting, the expected life of Ramuc coatings is as follows (life expectancy is affected by improper water chemistry, bather load, and amount and length of seasonal use). Type EP Hi Build Epoxy - up to 8 years. Type EP Epoxy - up to 4-5 years. AquaLuster up to 2 years. Type A Chlorinated Rubber up to 4 years.

The above is totally inaccurate. The fact is Ramuc EP Hi Build Epoxy begins to chalk heavily in year 3 (even if you prep correctly and meticulously take care of your water chemistry, which I do). I'll leave it at that without further accusation.

That has to be frustrating.

Yours is a good post in that it lets others know that despite what paint manufacturers claim (any of them, I think) there is a very good chance their product will not last as they say.

Hello, This is my first post! I have a fiberglass pool that we painted with Ramuc paint in 2010. It always chalked from day one, now with the blisters, we are in the process of sanding the pool. I don't have to tell anyone what a job this is! I believe all epoxy paints are basically only going to last 2-3 years, but I would think that they would not chalk immediately, like the Ramuc did. I have been speaking with the rep from Ultraguard and considering this brand. But now after reading the reviews from this forum, I hesitate to invest in the price for this product. It is much more expensive than some other brands, but I thought it might be worth it if this product would be guaranteed not to fail for atleast 5 years. What other options are there fiberglass pools, except painting? Any advise or help would be so much appreciated!! Thanks so much!

Old thread but I did my fiberglass pool with National epoxy paint.
I got about 3 years out of it until before it started to chalk, that didn't stop us from using it
It's five years now and it's wearing a bit thin. I'll paint it again next season
I kinda wish I had gel coated it instead

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.