Lossing Water

shufen

Oct 30, 2010
I have a concrete pool, sand filter, and a poolkeeper water leveler. Last month, my water bill was skyrocketed. I was using almost 700 gallons of water daily. There is no leakage in the pipe from the meter to my house and no leakage in the house. I am suspecting the leakage in the pool or piping related to the pool. For example, I filled the pool water until it is almost full on Saturday evening. This morning (not even 2 days), the water is already below the skimmer opening. I have the following questions. I would much appreciate the wisdom and experience from the group as I don't know what to do.

1. I see some water sipping out of the hose that connected to the water leveler. I will need to replace the hose but my question is: Do I need to connect a water regulator (like the ones used for the garden irrigation system)
between the faucet and the hose? The water is not leaking in large amount so I did not think this is the major problem.

2. My sand filter pressure has been high. In the past, it had been running at 20's and now the pressure is about 35 when the filter is running. The resting pressure is above 20 rather than in the 10's. Is it possible that that water pressure is too hight that pushed the water thru the back wash pipe? I called a Leak detector company locally and they charge $600 to detect leakage for pool and spa. I was told that once the leak is detected, then I can call the pool company to come and do the repair.

I just read the forum on how to do the bucket test. I will do that first and report back.

1) You shouldn't need a regulator. It should be fine with normal system pressure.

2) I doubt it's the higher filter pressure causing your problem. In fact, if I read it correctly your pressure gauge doesn't go to zero when you shut off the pump. If that's the case you need to replace the gauge.

From your description, it sounds like your pool has a leak. Leaving the autoleveler off and running the bucket test is the best place to start. Post back what you find out from that.

I think you'll need to check local codes for the water regulator. I think what your referring to is a back pressure regulator. Anytime your connecting something to the water supply that uses chemicals, you usually need one. It keeps any chemicals from getting back into the water supply. Other thoughts?

The bucket test did not show that my pool or spa is leaking. I think it is either from the pipe or from the sand filter. The pipes are under the concrete so I can not see any obvious problem. I have my pump off for 5-6 days and the water loss was only from evaporation. What should I do next?

Do you have a multiport or slide valve on the sand filter?

Can you see the end of the waste pipe off the filter valve? If you can, run the pump and see if there's water coming out of the waste pipe. If there is you have a bad gasket/seal. They're easily replaced.

There are three pipies connected to the sand filter, one for inflow, one returns water to pool, one waste pipe. I cannot see the water flows inside but can fill water and listen.

If I have a bad gasket/seal, do I call pool company to replace? Can I order and replace it?
As far as the gauge, does the indicator always returns to zero when the pump if off? I have the filter for just over a year. It is frastrating to have both gasket/seal and gauge broken.

Does the valve have a handle that you rotate or that you slide up and down?
If it's a multiport (handle that rotates)it has a spider gasket. If it's a slide valve (handle that moves up & down) it has o-rings. Either are easily replaced. Just go to your local pool store and tell them what you need and they should have them.

Your pressure gauge should go to zero whenever the pump is shut off. They're pretty cheap and cheaply made. You can buy better ones but most people don't bother about it.

Thank you very much for clarifying. I do have the handle that rotates. I will fill up the water and see if the water run out of the waste pipe. Thank you very much.

For the gauge, what are considered better?

I bought a bottom mounted stainless steel gauge and a [s:26s0w6nz]1/8"[/s:26s0w6nz] 1/4" npt street ell. It costs a lot more than the cheapie the pool store has but it'll last a long time. You can search for stainless steel gauge if you're interested.

If the spider gasket is leaking you can plug the outlet temporarily until you can get it fixed.

1/8" thread is for energy kits that use the pump's exhaust pressure to power them. Usually, this means a Ray Vac pool sweep is used or was used. Ray Vacs were a Jandy product and have been discontinued.

Most filters in the US use 1/4" thread. Expect to pay between $7 and $12 dollars for the bottom or back mounts. That is more important than what it is made of. Few are really good.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I run the sand filter, the water does run out to the waste pipe. I ordered a spider gasket Waterco #621460 (5 spoke) but it does not seem to fit. The middle of my old spider ring seems to be bigger and the spider extensions are thicker. However, this number should fit the model of Waterco Sand filter I have (Model # S600). Should I install it? I am afraid that water leakage may still be a problem if it does not fit.

Is there a better way to remove the old spider gasket? I pulled the majority of it but there are a couple extensions that are stuck. Also, what kind of glue should I use to glue the new spider gasket? Thanks,

Either it was the wrong gasket or one of the spokes came off the partition or the partition is cracked and leaking. I'm afraid you'll have to dismantle the valve again and see if you can determine the problem.

We drilled a small hole in the waste pipe and the water did not get drained there. Now, I run the filter and water tends to stay in the pool. When I run the vaccum and this is when the water level is going down. The pipes are under concrete. My question is "Is there a good way to identify the leakage without tearing the entire concrete?

I am not sure if I understand the pressure side vs. suction side vaccum. I am running the bucket test while I run the filter. My control is skimmer vs. Vaccum. When I switched to vaccum, the water loss is about 1/5 of an inch more in the pool vs. the bucket after a 4 hour run. I am not sure what to do with running a temp line. Please explain.

I also noticed that the water does not fill the strainer of the pump all the way (it is about 0.5 to 1 inch below the full level) whether runs the skimmer or vacuum. Another sign of a leaking pipe?

I attached the equipment picture and a picture of the pool. Hope this will help. please let me know if I need to take more pictures. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 106

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.