Teflon tape or pipe thread sealant?

moyer02

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 11, 2010
Pensacola, FL
I'm getting ready to swap out my pump to the Pentair V/S pump. The new pump has female threads at both in and out ports, so I have to use male adapters. I was going to use teflon tape on the male adapters inlet and outlet ports but the owners' manual/installation instructions says to use thread sealant instead of teflon tape. Any thoughts on this? I would rather use teflon tape.

Also agreed on teftape contaminating valves, servos, and actuators. It can also be built up too thickly on threads and stress fittings. I find that pipe dope is the better option. Save the tape for the shower head.

This thread is just about a year old, but I recently have used it to try and eliminate a leak/seep at a threaded pipe fitting on two pumps. I tried permatex 2, teflon tape with permatex 2, Oatey great white, Oatey great white with teflon tape, teflon tape.....lots of teflon tape. :grrrr: The only thing that has worked (so far) is Rectorseal 5. The leaks have only been on the pressure/outlet side of the pumps. No problems using permatex 2 on the inlet fittings. Not thrilled at the $$$ and time spent eliminating a leak. :grrrr: But I can remove a pump from the plumbing pretty fast! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.