Muriatic acid usage.

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
I'm just trying to get an idea of (normal) chemical (acid) usage. I realize this will change from pool to pool due to size, fill water, construction and so on. I go through approximately a gallon of acid a month for my 17K pool.
My pool is 17K gallons with a SWCG, my TA is approx 80, CH is approx 525, I try to maintain the PH between 7.5 and 7.8 and I do use borates in my pool. I'm happy with the way the pool looks, water clarity is fine. My neighbor commented that our pool looks great, I guess the prior owners didn't maintain the water quality as well as I've done. (Thanks to this forum!)
I guess my bottom line question is 1 gallon of MA normal usage for a 17K pool? Thanks in advance for your response.
Bob

All pools are different. A gallon a month on a 17,000 gallon pool with a SWCG doesn't sound unreasonable. The amount that it takes to keep your pH within normal limits for your pool is the normal amount of acid to use.

Thanks for all the input. I keep my TA low to keep the PH from climbing up too fast and needed to add to the CH to keep the CSI in range, otherwise it would be well below -.6 and that's not what I want.

Thank you.
Bob

Around here we have tap water high in Ph, high water evaporation due to high temperatures in the summer, and highly alkaline soil that gets blown into the pool with some regularity due to our dust storms. Using liquid chlorine I tend to add a cup of muriatic acid at least every week, and that's with keeping ph about 7.8. I decided not to add an SWG when I talked to people around here that have them about their acid usage. The variables of tap water ph, how often you add water, rain, dust, etc all affect a persons acid usage.

3 month old pool here, I'd be really happy if it just used 1 gallon/month....I suspect that we're going through 1 gallon every 1-2 weeks, most notably when intellichem is dispensing acid to keep ph stable while SWG is running at 100% for an extended period.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.