New Pool Plans - any thoughts?

Feb 23, 2012
Double Oak, TX
Hi all,

I am a newbie to this website and building a pool. Lot nervous. Have spent hours looking though this website. It is fantastic! I have learned so much!

These are the plans for the pool we are considering. We live in a Dallas/Ft Worth suburb.
Any thoughts, feed back or otherwise would be appreciated.

Pool
play/dive combo
Freeform
Sock/ stocking shape
Perimeter - 139'
Area - 932'
Length 43'
Width - 27'
Depth at steps 3 1/2'
Depth at End 8'
Approx Gal - 38,000

Equipment
Filter pump - 1 1/2 hp Jandy E pump, variable speed
Cleaner pump - Jandy PB4-60
Filter - Jandy CV Cartridge 580
Controller - iaqualink (still hashing this out)
Sanitizer - Aquapure
Actuators - 1 valve motor
Light - 2 Jandy LED 100'
Acid Dispenser - Jandy Chem Link
Autofill - Pool Miser Autofill - tied fill line connected to hose bib or sprinkler reroute
Eyeballs - 7
Cleaner - Polaris 280
Slide - 8' Turbotwister
Diving Board - 6'

Steel
Steel Schedule - #4 rebar 10" ocew w/alternates in stress areas
Beam - 12" box beam with 4 continuous 1/2" rebar

Plumbing
Skimmer Run - 76'
Skimmers - 2 with 2" independent lines to equipment
Returns - 6 with 2" main supply line
Main Drains - 2
Cleaner line - 1 with 1 1/2" dedicated line
Overflow - 1 in wall or built into autofill unit

Bull nose coping
6" waterline tile
Salt texture decking
Tahoe Blue quartz

Also included
Rock sealing & acid washing
Sprinkler reroute
Permits

Current estimate $63,000

This is a link to a free hand sketch http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o55 ... sketch.jpg

Thank you in advance for all input!

Welcome to the forum. :lol: You will probably get more responses if you have some specific questions. It's difficult to "review" an entire spec sheet for most of us when you have likely spent weeks if not months going over the details and have thought things through.

Questions like, "Is this pump too big for this pool?" will get more comments (It's not, incidentally :lol: )

Additionally, I would suggest not asking more than a couple of questions on one post. Folks who ask 32 questions often don't get any replies because the answer to each of those 32 questions contains some variables and the process of sorting those all out is simply too time consuming.

I'll start by asking this.....Did you give thought to 3 skimmers instead of two? An irregular pool that large could probably benefit from three and the additional cost would be minimal. Particularly if you have a large downwind side of the pool.

The shape is generally referred to as a lazy L or dog leg.

Add a third skimmer.

Save the acid tank feeder. Manually dosing will be far easier, especially for the 1st year while the plaster finish cures.

This is a big pool. The Aquapure may be a bit overwhelmed, especially in the Texas sun. Even with CYA, there is a lot of surface area that needs hold the chlorine. IIRC, while the Aquapure is rated to 40,000 gallons and you are too close to that, a larger cell is really going to be needed. I strongly suggest one rated for 60,000 gallons.

I seem to remember the E-Pump rated to 2 HP, not 1-1/2. This is limited by the controller, not will you be running that fast that it would use that much power to begin with.

1/2" rebar is #4 rebar. They go by eighths of an inch. Just thought you should know. I like #4 and 10" spacing though.

Watch for clay! It expands and contracts. This will present issues. Sand and solid rock are the best beds and side supports. Clay requires over digging, forming and back fill that is suitable.

I see no need for automation There is no spa. The pump has a built in timer with events. A cheap manual timer can run the Polaris. I also don't see the need for the actuator. Any lighting, while not listed or mentioned, can be operated with a couple light switches. This can reduce your costs by at least $5000, maybe more if you add in the acid feed. If you tried to use ORP with a salt cell, you would find it ineffective as the CYA level used/needed would make it worthless.

Spec in hard pipe. They might try to use flex pipe and that can be eaten by termites or collapse. Use 2" pipe too. Inch and half pipe makes it harder to move the water in the circulation system. Bigger is better here.

Scott

I will second what Scott said about the aquapure. Your pool is at the limit of the stated capacity and you will most likely have to run extra hours to make enough chlorine with the aquapure. With the larger 60k gallon systems you will not have to run the pump as long hence saving on your electric bill and the cell having a longer life span. The only drawback is that you might not get a 3 year warranty from your builder and will have to rely on the factory warranty.

PoolGuyNJ said:
I seem to remember the E-Pump rated to 2 HP, not 1-1/2. This is limited by the controller, not will you be running that fast that it would use that much power to begin with.
There are two different E-Pumps. One is 2 HP the other is 1.5 HP. Not sure why Jandy did that though.

Thanks to all of you for your time and your advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Will definitely add the third skimmer and upgrade the SWG.

Scott - there are 2 Jandy LED lights

Mark - After reading your Hydraulics 101, seems upgrading the pipe size would also be the thing to do. Right now they are 2". What is your thought?

There is always something to gain with larger pipe. 2.5" is reasonable and it really shouldn't cost the PB much more to do although I know they balk sometimes at the larger pipe. Going from 2" to 2.5" will gain you about 4% in efficiency and you just have to weigh that against any up charge.

At a minimum, just make sure that each suction line goes back to the equipment pad and they are not combined near the pool. This will give you some flexibility and reduce head loss. The 3 - 2" lines are equivalent to a single 3" line so that already is pretty good and unless you plan on running only one of the suction ports, then you probably won't need bigger.

But one trick is if the PB won't use larger pipe, just insist on the multiple runs for both the suction and return. That will have about the same results sans the pad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.