How do I check flow rate.

Dec 5, 2007
NW Georgia
I have a autopilot SWG that is not working. I am getting a check flow flashing alarm and the unit is not generating chlorine. More than likely the power supply is bad, but before I replace it at a $600 cost I need to check the flow rate. The pool builder use Flex pipe when he build the pool 6 yrs ago, I have read on this forum that flex hose can collapse. So whats the best way to check the flow rate and what should it be for the autopilot?

Not sure about the AP required flow rate, but if you have a nice strong flow coming out of your returns, it should be more than sufficient. Is the filter guage PSi reading within it's normal range?

Your pressure readings look ok. You can take the tri-sensor out and rubber band the flow switch closed or jump it out and that'll tell you if it's the sensor or the main board. WARNING: forcing the flow switch is a test only, DO NOT run the unit with the flow switch disabled.

I had a service rep for autopilot come out last summer to check the problem out and while here he put in a new tri sensor to see it would fix the problem. It did not, still had the low flow rate. He checkd the cell and told me I needed a new one. So I bought one and this did not fix it either, I really believe that the power supply is bad. I just wanted to make sure that I didnt have a flow issue before spending the $600 for a new one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.