Location of skimmer

Jul 22, 2011
I know the subject of cutting the liner and installing a hard plumbed skimmer has been broached in a few other posts. The question of the location of the skimmer has also been discussed and if I remember correctly crookm11 on his first 16' intex ultra pool kind of wished he hadn't installed the skimmer in the panel between the 2 factory ports since the horizontal distance between the return and the skimmer wasn't very great. In reading and rereading many posts and looking at all of the great pictures from crookm11 and jsf0656, to only name a few, i noticed something. To me it apprears that vertical elevation of the bottom of the skimmer and the bottom of the factory return (hole on the left) is virtually the same, specifically on crookm11's pictures here backyard-build-in-central-texas-pool-is-up-t28455.html Since summer is coming fast I was thinking of the upgrades I wanted to do before the season was in full swing and an contemplating installing a hayward standard skimmer and potentially a fountain like jsf065 has on the bottom of page 2 at this link second-return-and-fountain-for-intex-pool-t26479-20.html

I'm not a plumber but here's the questions I have. What are your thoughts of taking the left factory return hole and basically matching the invert of the skimmer at the invert of the existing hole, cutting the liner away and installing the skimmer there. It looks like a standard skimmer would work great but a wide mouth doesn't have the vertical depth and hence would not work as well since the water level would have to be lower than with a standard skimmer.

Then using the factory suction port (lower elevation hole on the right) and basically rerouting the piping to make that a return into the pool instead of a suction. That would keep the skimmer and return 2 panels apart instead of one panel. Is there a downfall to having the return water now at a lower elevation instead of closer to the surface? I was thinking of rigging a fountain like jsf065 has it in the above link at that location with the combo return eyeball and fountain.

A whole seperate question i have is has anyone installed a suction port near the bottom of the pool to help keep the bottom clean? My thought is hoping it would pull more dirt off the bottom and reduce the vacuuming needed.

Last season was my first time owning an intex ultra and you guys/gals made me jealous of all of the cool mods after joining this site. Looking forward to learning much more this year and doing my own mods once the pool goes up in a few months.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations.

I think your plan is good especially since you're planning on adding an additional return. A suction near the bottom might help a little but I think a return near the bottom will be more help in keeping it clean.

Hi Melissa,

I am new to the site, but got some great ideas on adding mods to my Intex 18 foot pool. I have the exact same question on where I should install my standard skimmer. I saw the pictures that JSF056 did and the location of this skimmer and thought that the return and the skimmer were too close together...I wanted to see what you ended of deciding to do....any help would be appreciated.

Mike

My pool is a Intex Above Ground 18' x 48'' Round Pool. I bought the Heritage Thru Wall Skimmer and I just bought a Sand Filter 2100 gph that I will be using for my pool. I just recently received my skimmer and it came with a double layer gasket (I guess for the outside and inside of the pool, so I think I need to cut the hole for the skimmer first (using the gasket as my guide I guess). I want to move away from the over the side skimmer -- but I am so nervous to do this. Most of the pictures that I have seen on the site, has the skimmer in the middle (basically on the Intex Logo) with the pre-existing holes used as dual returns. I like this idea, but first I wanted to get your advice on where the skimmer location should be and secondly, when you installed your skimmer, did you have any troubles? Thanks for all the help....

I would mount the skimmer first where you want it, then cut then trim out the liner. Not a pro but but that ie what i would probably do.

My Intex 18 foot rectangle has two suctions and one return already..... I am going to mount the skimmer on the same end as my suctions but over in the far corner... So if my suctions are on my right when facing my pool (the 18ft side), I will be using the right rear corner... :) That way the suction is all done at one end, and my return is at the far left of my pool.... Its the only way I can get good circulation.... My pool is long and narrow....

Thanks - I was thinking of installing the Skimmer first and then cutting the inside lining out, but since this came with a butterfly gasket, I might need to measure where I want the skimmer first, cut out the lining, install the double gasket and then put it all together. I'm tackling it tomorrow so I will look and see what the options are.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.