Filter gauge going bad?

My pool and equipment have been installed for nearly 2 years. Lately, I've noticed a problem where, my filter pressure gauge reads high, so I check to make sure all the return valves are open (husband sometimes monkeys with things!), and then I can cut the pump completely off, wait a minute, cut it back on, and the pressure reads at least 10 less. Is this a good indication that the gauge is going bad? I can't think of anything else that could be causing the pressure to go up on the filter. Is there anything else I should check?

Judy, it would be easy enough to get a new pressure gauge and swap them out and see if it is the gauge -- my reasoning, if it is the gauge, you need a new one anyway, they're fairly inexpensive and you'll need a new one at some point anyway :-D

If it's not the gauge, please answer Dave's questions and we'll put on our thinking caps and find the problem with your filter/ system :wink:

Ok, I have replaced the pressure gauge. I think it was a combination of the old gauge giving an incorrect reading, and all the pollen in the pool causing the filter to get dirty and the pressure to go up. The new gauge is showing that pressure is increasing, just not as much. I am backwashing every day, and yellow (pollen) water is coming out. It seems like we are having the pollen earlier this year; I don't remember having to do so much with the pool this early (it stays open all year).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.