Wedding Cake Steps

Oct 10, 2011
I have a set of these steps that I am quite displeased with. They are very unstable in the pool. They rock when you step on the top step getting into the pool and that is just not right. I think that part of the problem is that I do not yet have the deck anchor installed and secured. Im sure that this will help but not sure if it will solve the issue completely. The steps have three sand containers under them screwed to the inside of the steps which raise them up a bit and serve as feet for the steps to rst on as opposed to the edge of the pool steps sitting on the liner. I supposr that protects the liner somewhat but it makes for a unstable situation as well. Anyone know if the deck handrail anchor piece will solve this problem when screwed to the deck or do I need to take further actions to remedy the situation? Thanks for any advice.

Tell us what brand and model you have. There are lots of different designs even with the same mfg. It sounds like you could benefit from some more weight higher in the unit. Also, post a pic of the steps you have if you can.

I did forget to add that the top step is fitted with a drop in center that is filled with sand in addition to the 3 attached to the bottom. I hope attaching the step to the deck helps becaus it is just not safe otherwise.

I added a cup of bleach to each step weight as I filled them and two years later they don't have any algae. My steps are Lumi-o and have the molded steps that get filled to weigh the steps down and they're sealed with a plug so that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got about 3 gallons of water in each of mine after they were packed with sand so that works out to about 25 lbs of bouyancy per step if I hadn't added the water. If you used pea gravel instead of sand and no water it would even be worse because sand is heavier than pea gravel.

I have those same steps and i had the same problem before i secured the rail support arm to my deck and it really helped out a lot. You have to remember that they will never be or feel like a poured concrete solid step, you are always going to feel some movement.
I also filled my 3 lower chambers and my top drop in step with pea gravel and it worked out ok.
I am still looking for an extra support arm if anyone whats to get rid of one or knows where i can get one.

Your anchor strap looks very nice the way you have custom fit the unit to the top rail of the pool. You say you need another one of these ? Did the one in the picture break? Was it too weekened by the cut? Or are you adding another?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.