Low water over winter

BigJD

Jun 6, 2008
Hello,

When my pool closed in October the water was 4-6 inches from the top. Over the winter it has slowly leaked down to around 6 inches below the swimout. It has held at this level for the last month or so. Should I be concerned? What is the likely cause of this? Liner tear? The cover is 3-4 feet deep with water.

I just contracted with my paver guy for the patio build and I want to make sure I am clear before construction begins.

Any help appreciated. TIA

Your leak is probably just above the current water line. If you take the cover off you can fill the pool up a couple of inches and do a dye test around any seams or openings if you don't see an obvious hole.

470ae3ec-e79b-6e7c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BigJD said:
It is way too early to open. Should I do anything now? The paver guys start in March, can I open in March or am I asking for trouble?
If you were to open in march, you just need to be sure that your pump is running anytime you have ambient temps below freezing. Also you will want to cover your equipment pad with something to help to hold in heat. I am using the fabric from an old 9' market umbrella that the frame broke on. It has worked great it is like a heavy duty drop cloth tarp, but i think you can pick up a cloth tarp in the paint section at home depot or lowes. My pool has been open all year and I just have the pump run at night and when the temps are expected to be cooler. But, from following your build I know you live waaaaay north from me... Plus we have had a very mild winter, my pool temp has barely dipped below 50*.

BigJD said:
No visible liner issues. Based on the water level I am guessing it is a light niche thing.
aefeb1bd-9492-0a23.jpg

I agree. You can see the light fixture right at the water level. It appears you can still dig down behind it if needed to repair the seal on the fixture. Best to get it done before you have the pavers down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.