LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Argyle, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have grown tired of swirling my CH and my TA samples. I usually end up spilling a few drops, losing count, and becoming discouraged from the fact that despite my best swirling, it never seems to mix enough. Although I would LOVE to have a magnetic stirrer to aid me in my testing, I don't really see spending $60+ just for this purpose. What would be the harm in swirling the sample by using a small glass stirring stick? Understanding that the testing manufacturers want you to swirl the samples, this is probably because shaking or inversion would skew the results by aerating the sample. As a nurse and drawing from what I know about drug reconstitution, I know that it is possible to stir without aeration. If you asked me, I would surmise that I probably aerate a sample more by swirling the vial and creating splashes in the process than by gently stirring to create a satisfactory vortex in the tube in the first place.

Thanks!

Craig

duraleigh said:
Hi, Craig,

Stir away!! I don't believe aeration would significantly affect the outcome anyway but you are obviously being very accurate.

Thank you for confirming that for me. That should really help things out a little bit.

Craig

The drops have to be added in the proper order and swirled in between if you want accurate test results. The purpose of the chlorine neutralizer is to keep any chlorine from bleaching out the TA indicator. If you add them at the same time it sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.