Help me pick a filter please.

May 23, 2011
Im putting up a 24' round ABG pool and need help picking a filter. I have a pentair dynamo 1HP pump. I use to have sand filter but was old and leaked from spider gasket,baskwash port, and gauge did not work. I was going to replace the sand filter with another sand filter and valve. I know I can just replace the spider gasket to get it to stop leaking but previous owner over tighten the gauge and cracked the housing. I started looking into cartridge filters and I know they both have good and bads but what would be a good size to go with for cartridge. Pentair CC75, or CC100. Anyother comments are welcome to. Thanks.

With any filter you want to get the largest you can afford that will fit in your equipment area. The larger the filter the less often you need to clean it. If you do go with a cartridge filter be sure to plumb in a waste line so you can vacuum to waste or drain the pool if needed.

Over sizing your cartridge filter definitely reduces cleanings and will also help extend the life of the filter. For the gallon size of your pool, both the Pentair CC75 and the Pentair CC100 should do the job of turning over your water in eight hours or less.

Thanks for the replys. Just dont know which one to buy. I hear good and bad about both. Don't want to mess up and get a cartridge and have to clean it all the time. 1 time a month isnt bad, if thats the case. I am also going to bury the pool about 2.5-3ft into the ground. Should I get an inground filter?

The filters are the same for inground or above ground. The pump will need to be self priming if it is installed above the waterline. Some above ground pumps can self prime, depending on how far above the waterline the pump is installed. All inground pumps should be self priming.

It sounds to me like you're asking what kind of filter system to get (in addition to getting the best size)....

The 3 different types of filter systems differ in their cleaning efficiency, maintenance, and price. All, however, work well. From what I've read, you may only notice the difference at night when the pool lights are on.A sand filter is probably the easiest to care for, but doesn't filter as well as the other two. The filter medium, sand, lasts just about forever, so you should hardly ever need to add sand to it. It does need to be cleaned (backwash) when the pressure starts to rise, so if you don't have a place to backwash, you might want to rule out sand (and DE, for that matter). DE filters clean better than either sand or cartridge, but they do require a bit more maintenance than the other two. The DE filters need to be backwashed, but after backwashing replacement DE powder must be added. Also, I'm told they should be cleaned thoroughly at least annually. Some locales don't allow DE filters in pools because of the "dirty" waste from them. A cartridge filter cleans better than sand, but not quite as good as DE. A cartridge filter system never needs to be backwashed, which is a plus. However, the cartridges need to be taken out and cleaned...maybe 2-3 times/year or so (more or less depending on the pool's usage).

(Note: We have a sand filter on our pool, as we wanted the most "goof proof" system).

jamull2852 said:
Thanks for the replys. Just dont know which one to buy. I hear good and bad about both. Don't want to mess up and get a cartridge and have to clean it all the time. 1 time a month isnt bad, if thats the case. I am also going to bury the pool about 2.5-3ft into the ground. Should I get an inground filter?

I've had both in ground and above ground pools. I have used sand and or zeolite and I know people with cartridges and DE. Personally I prefer the Zeo material but sand would be a close second. Definitely go big or go home regardless of what you pick. You will never have TOO MUCH filter media but you can have TOO LITTLE.

Some times too little masks it self as just right until you have an issue like a late summer algae bloom. Then you can't clean it out fast enough and recovery takes longer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys for all the info. My picks so far is the Hayward 24" sañd filter or the pentair cc150. I'm calling a few places Tom. To see how much sand will cost. If its expensive I'm going with the cartridge.

I LOOKED AT MY CURRENT SAND FILTER IT IS A HAYWARD 16"!!!!! I'm guessing that's too small for a 24' round pool.

Either the 240 sand or the 150 sqft cartridge will be fine. That 16" is way too small for that pool and the pump you have. It's only designed for 35 gpm flow and I bet that 1 hp pump is putting way more than that thru it.

You'll lose a lot of water if you bypass the filter while vacuuming. I'd just vacuum to filter and clean it when needed.

If you really want a vac to waste option you can add a 3-way valve to the discharge of the pump before the filter and that'd do what you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.