Unexpected benefit of Borax!!!!

Copperhead

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 29, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Hi folks, it's been forever since I posted, I guess that's good because my pool has been so awesome since I joined here! I was at one time extremely frustrated and fighting algae and a host of other problems, getting no help from the pool manufacturer's stores or independent pool stores, just spending money and dumping extremely toxic chemicals in my pool that didn't help a bit!
But this website has turned that all around for me, only true pool chemicals I buy now are CYA and acid.
Here it has been two years and now it's fast approaching water change time again. I had an electrical connection problem in my salt cell and had to repair it in my garage. I noticed the cell was hardly calcified and about 95% clear of deposits!!!!!
This is insane! Calcification of my cell has always been a major difficulty. Two years ago I decided to go the borates route to help with algae,(no more black algae problem!) but I did not expect this very happy side effect!!
Thanks, you guys are awesome!

bobodaclown said:
Why change the water?
With the evaporation rate in AZ, you change it every few years or get RO treatment. If not the mineral content gets way out of hand. Without my auto filler, my pool would be empty by the end of the season.

Though the borates are a mild algaecide, their primary effect is that of a pH buffer that is particularly strong at higher pH. This makes it very suitable in SWCG pools since it roughly cuts in half the pH rise at the hydrogen gas generation plate so reduces the amount of scaling there.

No back wash with cartridge filters, so the only elimination of water from the pool is evaporation, all minerals stay behind. After about 2-1/2 seasons, the water is too hard to be able to control.
Pool can only be safely emptied in sub 80 degree weather or there is a risk of cracking.
So every two years we pump it out and refill.
I'll watch the weather and pick a cool stretch in March. April is getting a little too risky too rely on sub 80 weather and by the end of May it will be 100!!!

I think yours probably gradually evaporated. Emptying it quickly from full in warm weather can be bad.

Anyways, I'm going to get up in a couple hours and fire up the rented pump. I've got a small rust stain to address when it's empty, then probably scrub the waterline good and refill before it gets too warm!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.