New Pool in NC...

I think it's worth it for you to put in a pool light. If the cost of an LED color changing one seems like a waste to you, why not go with the standard white light (is it 250 or 350 watt) fixture?

I can't imagine not wanting to go for a midnight swim on more than just 1 or 2 occasions....but then you do have to stay up till midnight!

Are biting insects a major issue for you?

Have you priced out moving your field lines? If they are black pipe in gravel they can be replaced with Infiltrator, and you only need to replace 50-75% of what you killed (depending on health department where you live. I only ask because I don't think it would be all that expensive, they come in with an backhoe, dig a 3' trench 5 feet deep, laydown plastic Infiltrator and then bury it with the dirt they dug out.

Then you could place the pool much closer to the house potentially....You could ask the pool excavator about it.

If you get the health department involved, (around here) they require that you have at least 2 areas for field lines. That way if one area quits working, you can relocate it to another area. I was also told that could be accomplished by putting a diverter value on the discharge from the septic tank, and run the stuff to the new field. After several years the old field may actually clear up and you can go back to using that one. Or you could put in a new tank in a different location.

The PB showed up with the equipment today, and marked off the exact location. We also marked the location of the equipment pad which will be under the "lean to" on the back of the detached garage. It will mean more PVC, but no extra charge. Having it in this location will put it about 2' below deck level, but he said that would not be a problem.

pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

pool3.jpg

pool4.jpg

pool5.jpg

pool6.jpg

I just wanted to say that you will love that liner and the cool aqua colors it will add with sun light vs cloud cover! I loved mine (avatar) it was blue on the walls with dolphins and a tan river rock bottom. If and when I tackle another pool, I will be getting a tan liner! :cool:

harleysilo said:
Have you priced out moving your field lines? If they are black pipe in gravel they can be replaced with Infiltrator, and you only need to replace 50-75% of what you killed (depending on health department where you live. I only ask because I don't think it would be all that expensive, they come in with an backhoe, dig a 3' trench 5 feet deep, laydown plastic Infiltrator and then bury it with the dirt they dug out.

Then you could place the pool much closer to the house potentially....You could ask the pool excavator about it.

If you get the health department involved, (around here) they require that you have at least 2 areas for field lines. That way if one area quits working, you can relocate it to another area. I was also told that could be accomplished by putting a diverter value on the discharge from the septic tank, and run the stuff to the new field. After several years the old field may actually clear up and you can go back to using that one. Or you could put in a new tank in a different location.

We didn't price it out, but after seeing the layout we are happy with the location. The area between the deck and pool is the nicest part of my back yard, and I just love to look at the stripes in the grass while drinking a cold beverage after mowing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He sure does! Although we have had a cold spell here in Winston Salem for the past few days. Baseball games the last two nights have been kinda chilly.....

Footing was poured today, steps were installed, and the plumbing from the hopper edge up through the footing was put in place.

c602c43b.jpg

c7008b92.jpg

8b2543b3.jpg

The level test revealed that the picture was deceptive!

The guys came out yesterday and got the plumbing (at the pool) completed. It is stubbed out a few feet away from the pool. It is a pretty decent run from there to where the equipment will be set (under the lean-to on the back of the detached garage).

They did a partial backfill, leaving room for light work etc.

The Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 was delivered, as well as the liner. The rest of the equipment had already been delivered.

They planned on coming out today, but we had some bad storms this morning that kept things a mess most of the day.

Happy with their work so far!

The coping was installed on Friday, and the plumbing was run to the equipment. Backfilling was completed execpt for the area right at the light, as the inspector has to verify the bond wire. They are planning to do the floor on Monday and drop the liner on Tuesday. I also have the electrician coming on Monday to do his job.

We have been told liner and water on Tuesday... man I hope so!

Well... the bottom was done today, as well as the plumbing at the equipment...

c13a44ed.jpg

002330d7.jpg

0df4868d.jpg

The electrician met me at home at 5:30pm to do part of his job. He needed access to my detached garage to get the power to the equpment. He did an awesome job, and ran all the wiring without damaging any drywall.... I guess it helps that I have attic access in the garage? He will be back out tomorrow to do the bonding at the pool, as well as run the electrical for 4 light posts (~7' tall, 3 lights each), and 7 electrical outlets!

c9990cb4.jpg

921f6ecf.jpg

I have my friend coming out tomorrow to scope out the concrete work and give me a quote. From what he has told me on the phone, I am happy! Im glad I have good friends!

The liner is also going in tomorrow, so I am hoping for some late afternoon rain.... that should help with the water bill!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.