How to operate in ground spa attached to pool w/pics

Feb 18, 2012
[attachment=0:2j72fs8d]IMG_1057.JPG[/attachment:2j72fs8d][attachment=1:2j72fs8d]IMG_1056.JPG[/attachment:2j72fs8d][attachment=2:2j72fs8d]IMG_1033.JPG[/attachment:2j72fs8d]I have an inground pool that has a spa that acts like a fountain during the day when the pool is running its normal day cycle. The spa sits at an elevation thats about 2 feet above the pools waterline and has a cut edge where the water from the spa pours into the pool for the "waterfall".

When the pool pumps normal cycle is done after the day (6 hours), within 30 minutes, the spas water level gradually levels down to match the level of the pool where the spa water line is just an few inches above the spa's jets.

The person I bought the house from said the pool is not heated, but there is a heater, pump, and blower for the spa and that I can never run the spa during the normal pool operation during the day. When I turn on the spa heater and pump after the normal pool cycle, I can verify that the spa is working but the water lever of the spa is so close to the jet nozzles that the operation dosnt look right to me. Can anyone chime in on what I'm missing/doing wrong.

ADDL INFO: The pool has it's own pump & timer, and the spa has it's own pump, heater, timer as well as a blower. There are four valve knobs located at the pool equipment site labeled "Water Feature", "Pool Return", "Main Drain" and "Skimmer".

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 293
My guess is the water feature is returning water from the pool pump to the spa. I am assuming you do not have any separate water feature from the spa water fall? I would think if you turn off the water feature and turn on the pool return, then all of the pool return water will bypass the spa and you can then run the spa off of the separate spa pump loop which includes your heater. When you are finished with the spa, just turn off the spa loop and turn the water feature back on (if you want the water fall). It looks like you chlorinate and filter on the pool pump loop only, so the spa will need to have its water run through that pool pump loop when the spa is not in use.

jfwarren1 said:
When the pool pumps normal cycle is done after the day (6 hours), within 30 minutes, the spas water level gradually levels down to match the level of the pool where the spa water line is just an few inches above the spa's jets.
Oh, I forgot to respond to this part of you question... when pumping is off and if the "water feature" valve is left open, then water level will equalize in both tub and pool. If you want the water level higher in the spa to be able to use it, turn off that valve before the pool pump turns off. Then you can use the spa using it's pump loop.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will test shortly. Just wanted to check with a professional in case I turned a valve and caused some damage. Yes, no other water feature. Will post my results when finished. Thank You.

Forgot to ask, from the picture of the valves (Waterfall Feature & Pool Return) , the horizontal position of the valve handles in the above photo denotes both valves are "Open" returning water from pool pump into both spa and pool. Turning the valve handle marked "Waterfall feature" into the vertical position will isolate the spa for spa operation like you stated above correct?

I have a similar setup with the spa overflowing into the pool.

Do you have a separate pump for the spa? I have one pump for the pool and spa. The "water feature" has no plumbing. It's just overflow. My water line in the spa drops as well if I leave the spa suction valve open when everything is off.

yes, a separate pump for spa. The top picture above is for the Spa. There is a Pump, Small electric heater, Blower, and timer (not shown). The second picture above is the equipment to the right of the first picture. Pump, Fliter. and seperate timer. There are 3 valve inlets to the pool pump, One is labeled "Skimmer" the next one "Main Drain" and a third one with a missing handle that has no identifying label. The return valves are labeled "Water Feature" and "Pool Return". According to "LINEN"'s reply, Having both the "Water Feature" and "Pool Return" valves open (as denoted in the above picture) creates the waterfall feature of the spa. And because of the law of physics, having both of these valves open after the pool pump finishes it's daily cycle, return's the spa water lever to match the level of the pool. There is no spa "check valve" as far as I can tell. So my test after the main pool pump finishes for the day (about 3 hours from now) is to "close" the "Water Feature" valve and see if the spa water level remains intact. I'm unsure about whether just one valve closure will do the trick because that third un-marked valve may be coming from the drain from the spa and produce the same "water level" effect.

Sorry, sometimes I can't see the photos using Tapatalk.
Do you have a vacuum suction on the side wall of the pool anywhere for an automatic cleaner? I'm not by any means an expert on here, but could that possibly be what the "unlabeled" line is for?

Phipsi, I never thought of that. there are 3 nozzles on the pool walls returning water from the pool pump but there is a 4th wall nozzle that dos'nt look like the other three. This 4th nozzle is not producing any output like the other three are (it's too deep to reach by hand) but I bet you are right on the money, that is that unmarked valve that has the missing handle. I bet the automatic cleaner was never optioned, or was removed from pool system before I purchased this South Florida home. WOW, you guys are really great detectives!!!!

UPDATE: Thanks to Linen & Phipsi. Both you guys were right on target. I could feel the heater working at the heater unit (small breadbox in first picture) but after 30 minutes I gave up on trying to heat the spa. Something tells me that the spa takes a while to heat. People here in South West Florida don't seem to use gas pool heaters like they do back home in Los Angeles. There using a device called a "heat pump". Don't understand how they work. My wife would like to add a heater to the pool when we get down here full time. Wonder what would be more cost effective, gas heat or heat pump. Can't do solar because of HOA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're just using it to heat the spa, most go with gas because of the convenience and speed. Downside is that it can be more expensive and If your area doesn't have gas piped in, you have to get a tank.

You may also consider having someone come out and give you an estimate to replumb your system so that you only have one pump. You will have less maintenance and more room on that pad for a heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.