Expect to Install SWG Spring 2012

Feb 17, 2012
I have an inground liner pool L-shaped apprx 36000 gal. Have contracted to have the coping replaced. It is currently red brick and it will be replaced with red brick. I am also having a new liner installed. I figured this was a good time to switch to SWG system. The pool company I have used for years proposed a Pentair IC-40. Howerver, the contractor doing the coping recommends I use a PoolPilot system. Which of these is better or should I concider another system?

Welcome to TFP!!

Have you done reading here on the pros and cons of SWCGs? If not, let me tell you a couple things to consider.

1) like Bama and Blake mentioned a cell that can 'handle' a 40,000 gallon pool will need to run ~ 24/7 to produce enough chlorine to do so (IMS {if memory serves} one for a 40,000 gal. pool produces ~1.5 lbs. chlorine when run at 100% for 24 hours). if you have to run your pump 20+ hours/ day and have the cell at 100% output it will cost you in electricity and cell life is based on 3 of hours it's energized and producing so, as mentioned, a cell rated for more gallons would run less often and need less frequent replacing ($)

2) how many returns do you have? As part of the conversion from salt to chlorine the unit produces extra hydrogen gas which ends up as bubbles coming out of the returns. This can cause foam or a foamy crust, if you use certain algaecides (like the ammonia based 'linear quats). There is also the pH rise caused by these bubbles, which would require regular additions of Muriatic acid - not a huge deal, but something to consider.

3) I can't recall any posts on how salt water 'plays' with brick, but certain coping stones are degraded by the saltwater. there is also the effect on non-stainless steel exposed to the brackish water (as well as on improperly made stainless steel).

Please don't get me wrong, I really like SWCGs and am just trying to make sure you don't waste money on something that you'll hate and not want to use. :)

I have six returns two of which are over the fiberglass steps. I have two stainless steel ladders and stainless steel around the pool light. The brick contractor recommended the SWG so I assume there is no negative effect on the brick. We have always run our pump 24/7. Is the okay with the SWG.

I'd first like to apologize for my stupidity. I should have read the Pool School before I posted my question. When I dug out old files, I found the instation manual for our pool. It lists our pool as 24,000 gal not 36,000. I'm sure the pool company that sold us and installed the pool told us it was 36,000. By my calculations it comes to about 26,000 gal. Does any of this change your recommendations?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mhosborn said:
Are you saying, Rambler, that for, say a 12,000 gallon pool, an IC-40 would be preferred over an IC-20?
Not exactly, for a 12,000 gal pool the IC-20 would be fine. Going with an IC-40 would be oversized by over 3x pool size. The problem with that is the you'll have to run the cell at such a low percentage that you could lose adjustability when needed. I.E. going from 10% to 15% on a IC-40 is a much bigger jump than going from 10% to 15% on a IC-20.

It all boils down to the fact that you need some extra capacity so that you don't have to run it (and the associated equip) 24 hours a day just to maintain FC (not to mention the gain in cell life), but you dont' want it so large that the setting are so course that you constantly have to bump it up or down to maintain control.

Thanks, Rambler, for educating me on this!

Not exactly, for a 12,000 gal pool the IC-20 would be fine. Going with an IC-40 would be oversized by over 3x pool size. The problem with that is the you'll have to run the cell at such a low percentage that you could lose adjustability when needed. I.E. going from 10% to 15% on a IC-40 is a much bigger jump than going from 10% to 15% on a IC-20.

It all boils down to the fact that you need some extra capacity so that you don't have to run it (and the associated equip) 24 hours a day just to maintain FC (not to mention the gain in cell life), but you dont' want it so large that the setting are so course that you constantly have to bump it up or down to maintain control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.