LED or Standard White Light

Feb 1, 2012
Frisco, Texas
?? PB says the LED's are not as bright, and really work better with the lighter smooth plaster colors.. Not so much with pebble tec, pebble sheen type products.. The white lights are much more powerful, just can auto change colors, but need more of them in a pool

They are not as bright as the halogen bulbs, and the led lights that change color are a lower wattage than a white led. The led bulbs last longer, and your talking 70watts vs 500watts. I got a white led, and its nice. Definately not super bright. If you plan on having the lights on for many hours a day, it may justify the cost.
My pool is 23000 g w emerald bay pt, only has 1 light, and its adequate

I put a screw-in LED bulb replacement and the "white" (which is really all the colored LEDs on at the same time) is certainly not as bright as the old white bulb. That said, I imagine that the dedicated white LED lights are at least as bright as a regular bulb.

Not sure the surface matters as much as the color of your pool. The darker the pool surface the darker it will appear with the same light.

The color lights are interesting but you may need more of them. Remember that the wavelengths of the red spectrum do not travel nearly as far in water as the blue spectrum. In my pool the red reaches about half the length of the pool... really wish I had 2 fixtures but it is a very old pool.

We have 2 LEDs in our pool & 1 in the spa. We're happy we went with the LED versus standard due to the color changes we can do. Kids like having a light show at times and we like having the straight blue while in the spa. Seeing it reflect off the house at night is a nice effect also.

We have our lights on a schedule that kicks in at dark and ends about 11p. Mainly since we like looking at it, certainly not for swimming during the winter :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.