Is your equipment covered, indoors, or exposed?

texasdad

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
DFW Metro
My pool is about one year old and I can already see signs of the Texas sun having it's effect on the plastic parts with some discoloring. In a few years I'm sure the plastic is going to get brittle.

I'm going to cover or enclose the equipment pad this spring. Debating a fully enclosed mini-shed design or just a shade structure.

-fully enclosed would provide better protection from the elements but would get hotter on sunny days. would fumes from chlorine tank be a problem? A shed would also hold heat in winter and protect against freezing.

-canopy type would be better ventilated but would not provide as much protection.

What do you have over/around your equipment pad?

We get really brutal sun exposer here in AZ as well. Mine is wide open to the elements. I'm sure things would last longer being protected from the sun. I would just build it way bigger than the pad so you have room to work when things break. Or you could make it so its removable for repairs. I saw this thing on a show called "I Want That" its a utility cover that looks like shrub, kinda cool but pricey.
http://www.triccover.com/store/products-page/

Exposed, but I live in a forest (for better or worse), so my pool equipment isn't just sitting out in the sun either. I have the pump in storage out of the weather for the winter, but we've had such a mild winter that we haven't seen a single flake of snow.

Exposed, we just finished building our pool and the original design had us putting in a canopy, however the side of the house where the equipment is well shaded and the pool builder painted the piping nicely to withstand the sun...and the rest of the equipment seems sturdy/well done....so in the end, I didn't really see any benefit to installing the canopy....of course, I live in an area with minimal annual rainfall and a mild climate....if you're getting huge amounts of rain/snow or tons of sun, covering up might make much more sense.

I have a lean-to type structure over mine. It's insulated with styrofoam but allows for ventilation for the chlorine tank. In two years I haven't noticed any effects on the metal siding or roof from the chlorine.

I've got all my equipment inside a self-built shed. My PB tried to talk me out of it. I've got a 2nd floor for storage and overhanging roof that allows for shade around the pool. I think the equipment will last MUCH LONGER out of the sun. I wouldn't have done it any other way. It's nice to work on things inside also unless it's really hot.

My equipment is all indoors. I had a Liquidator to chlorinate my pool, and I thought it was causing oxidation all in my pool equipment room and my garage (they are attached). But after further investigation I now think the oxidation was caused by an improperly sealed muriatic acid bottle. Lesson learned, now I don't store pool chems indoors. I've moved my muriatic acid bottles to an outdoor shelving unit that's hidden inside a fenced area, salt and chlorine are moved to an outdoor shed.

right now I'm considering a roof over it and then possible lattice and Carolina Jasmine all the way around to form walls. Sort of a shed with plenty of ventilation. But I still reserve the right to change my mind. Hopefully I'll have something at least started by the end of March...... I'll update then.

My pool was part of a major remodel that included a new garage. I added extra length to the garage to accommodate the pool equipment.

For my particular use, That has been a really good setup. It's nice to sit by the pool with the pump running not 15 feet away and it is noticeable, but not at all unpleasant. I will add some soundproofing this Spring in hopes of it going away almost completely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
texasdad,

you had a question about protecting your pool equipment from the sun and/or cold but concerned about ventilation. As the follow-up responder noted triccover (TRiCC utility cover) is available and can accomplish what you are looking for (protection, ventilation) and it can stay on while the equipment operates...only cover available that can do this. As the follow-up responder noted, it is not inexpensive but is made in the U.S. and will not degrade in weather. Good luck with the solution you decide on.

texasdad,

you had a question about protecting your pool equipment from the sun and/or cold but concerned about ventilation. As the follow-up responder noted triccover (TRiCC utility cover) is available and can accomplish what you are looking for (protection, ventilation) and it can stay on while the equipment operates. TRiCC is the only cover available that can do this. I am an owner of the company that makes TRiCC utility cover. As the follow-up responder noted, it is not inexpensive but it is made in the U.S. of very high quality UV protected materials and will not degrade in weather. Good luck with the solution you decide on.

Whatever your choice, you need to make sure that things are well ventilated. Pumps generate lots of heat and if it isn't getting good air, you may end up replacing it faster than you would if you were to leave it exposed. Also, make sure that you can access your equipment from all sides. You don't want to wall things off to where you cannot get to them or cannot spot a developing problem early.

tammy62

Completely agree....TRiCC is louvered to provide ventilation even when it is completely enclosed. If you don't need to have one of the sides enclosed it can be used as a three sided cover also. It has been certified as a cover for equipment (while operating) which requires airflow to work properly and to prevent overheating or short cycling.

tammy62 said:
Completely agree....TRiCC is louvered to provide ventilation even when it is completely enclosed. If you don't need to have one of the sides enclosed it can be used as a three sided cover also. It has been certified as a cover for equipment (while operating) which requires airflow to work properly and to prevent overheating or short cycling.

Tammy - You have 3 posts on the forum and they all seem to be related to this product. Are you in some way connected to this company?

texasdad said:
tammy62 said:

Tammy - You have 3 posts on the forum and they all seem to be related to this product. Are you in some way connected to this company?

I noticed the same thing. :hammer:

In answer to the question regarding "am I connected to this company that owns TRiCC utility cover?", "yes, I put that in my initial post to you on February 23". Family business, my brother invented the product out of his own need. :)

texasdad said:
right now I'm considering a roof over it and then possible lattice and Carolina Jasmine all the way around to form walls. Sort of a shed with plenty of ventilation. But I still reserve the right to change my mind. Hopefully I'll have something at least started by the end of March...... I'll update then.

Done!

A simpe metal roof attachated to the brick on the house side and two posts on the other. Toal size is 7'x11'. Lattice all the way around the perimeter except door opening and very small Carolina Jasmine have been panted. Hopefully ths time next year that lattice will be covered in yellow flowers.

Pics coming soon.

I'll take better pictures in the daylight tomorrow. But here it is.

IMG_0075-1.jpg

PS: How do I post pictures from photo bucket instead of just the link?

When you're in album view and you hover over the pic in Photobucket there should be a drop down with several choices. Select the IMG code and it'll copy it to the clipboard then you paste that code directly into your post. Or you can add the [ img ][ /img ] tags (without the spaces) to your link. Like I did to yours above. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.