New pool owner in San Diego

Mar 10, 2008
San Diego, CA
Great forum!

New here. Became an overnight pool owner when I bought the house about a year ago. I had no idea what I was doing so I used the Internet, downloaded the filter manuals, and learned how things operated. My first project was to remove the 30 ft trees that were less than 1 ft from the pool deck. I was concerned about the roots becoming invasive and this also helped keep the pool 100% cleaner. I noticed my DE filter was always above pressure, so cleaned that, and install a leafcatcher and strainer filter and that has kept the pressure constant ever since. I also have a Golden Retriever who uses the pool more than us, and this has kept his hair from entering the system. Unfortunately, the pump ran dry one day for reasons unknown, got the intake and return lines super hot and I think shrunk them. Now I have a slight leak on the return and I'm sure a small leak on the intake. My next project is to replace the intake and return lines, and put in quick connects for the pump system (pentair). I'm almost positive my pump is overrated for the pool (2HP), but it is what it is. After the pump project, I"ll need to replace the caulk between the coping and the deck. From what I read, pack it with silica sand, and Deck O Seal it up. Some of the tiles along the pool are falling off, the pool surface is stained, but the 5 year plan is to remove that and redo the entire deck/pool.

As for the things I'm doing wrong, well probably the water analysis. I keep my inline chlorinator full with tablets at all times, but honestly never test the water. I'm hoping to learn from the pro's here how to better manage this.

I'm glad I was able to find this site. I'm sure I feel like most pool owners, where I feel pride and ownership in having a nicely running pool. Now if I can only keep my dog out of it!

Thanks all for letting me aboard!
T

Attachments

• IMG_6628_1_1.JPG
    IMG_6628_1_1.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6827_1_1.JPG
    IMG_6827_1_1.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 151
Well, for admittedly not know what you are doing, your pool and water looks really good!

If you start reading "the stickies" (linked in my signature) you will soon learn all you care to know (and sometimes more!) about keeping a beautiful and safe pool!

You are in the PERFECT place to learn about proper water balancing and maintenacnce, and folks will probably even chime in about your restoration plans!

Welcome to TFP, to you and your pooch!!

Welcome to the forum....glad you found it.

I"ll need to replace the caulk between the coping and the deck. From what I read, pack it with silica sand, and Deck O Seal it up.
You might consider a "backer rod" rather than sand. It's essentially a cheap, round rope of foam plastic that you simply push down into the crack far enough below the surface to allow the caulk to be formed on top of it. Comes in a variety of diameters and really easy to deal with.

Welcome to TFP! Again, looks like you have done a pretty good job for being thrown in the deep end so-to-speak. ;)

A quality kit should be your first priority. Dave (duraleigh) doesn't toot his own horn much, but if you look at the link in his signature above, you'll see a link to www.tftestkits.com. Dave is the owner and makes the best residential test kit on the market.

Again, welcome to the site and be sure to post any questions you come up with.

Sean