Is "Spa" a hotter setting than "pool" mode on heat pumps?

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
Just curious as we have a 110,000 BTU Heat Pro on a 16,000 gallon pool.

The water temp right now in unheated pools is 69F. This heat pump has the water at 87F but owner wants the temp to be 91F but we are having problems getting up there. The heat pump is not exposed to sunlight and is in a shaded area which I think makes a difference. We run the heater 23 3/4 hrs per day. almost 24/7 but still can't get the temp up. This is the first time since we installed it we had this problem. Right now the air temp is 79F but this weekend it was much lower in the 60's.

I have switched over to spa mode hoping this will help.

anyone can spread some light on this? Many thanks!

Re: Is "Spa" a hotter setting than "pool" mode on heat pumps

Spa mode is not "hotter" than pool mode... the heat pump puts out the same BTUs either way.

You may want to have the heat pump serviced to make sure it is functioning correctly (correct amount of refrigerant etc)

The main way pools lose heat is through evaporation... consider putting a bubble-type cover on to stop the evaporation. It makes all the difference in the world to my installation. Without it my heat pump cant keep up, but with it it can.

Lershac said:
Spa mode is not "hotter" than pool mode... the heat pump puts out the same BTUs either way.

You may want to have the heat pump serviced to make sure it is functioning correctly (correct amount of refrigerant etc)

The main way pools lose heat is through evaporation... consider putting a bubble-type cover on to stop the evaporation. It makes all the difference in the world to my installation. Without it my heat pump cant keep up, but with it it can.

Thanks for the reply. This heat pump is only a few months old. We are working on finding an a/c repair person. They might be able to service these heat pumps as they are basically a/c's working backwards to heat instead of cool. We don't have a pool cover but that's a great suggestion but owner would want a roll type pvc cover. expensive and finding someone here on the island who can install one will be a challenge. I've read raising the temp up might help so will go back to pool mode and increase desired temp to max.

When the heat pump is on... it puts out the max BTUs it can until it cuts off... if its running constantly thats the max its going to put out.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Lershac said:
When the heat pump is on... it puts out the max BTUs it can until it cuts off... if its running constantly thats the max its going to put out.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I think if we went with the 140,000 btu one we might have been ok. but definitely a pool blanket is a great idea. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.