how much do you spend on power for your hot tub ?

Feb 5, 2012
My husband has a spine injury . He has a hard time getting out of our whirl pool which is flat. I'm looking into a used hot tub but, someone told me their hot tub cost $90 a month in power. Anyone spending this for real ? What does your hot tub cost to run ?

Ok yours is about the same as mine. Do you have a stand-alone hot tub with electric resistive heat?

I heated my entire pool and hot tub during dec for most of the month with a heat pump heater for about $100.

I haven't bought one yet. I was trying to figure out how high the power bill might be. I was curious if it would be worth the power hike. Thank you for all your help. I am new at the pool & hot tub thing. :-D I don't plan to heat my pool once it's up. Later on we want a solar dome and some panels. For now the hot tub would be the only thing heated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For some reason ours runs $150. a month and my husband won't let me fill it up again.....he made me drain it for winter. I NEED my hot tub with my neck and back injuries and surgery!! That seems waaaaay too much! Any reasons you can think of why it would be so much?

I've got a 800 gallon hot tub (gunnite) and it runs all winter at 70 degrees. Heat it up when in use and use it on average 1-3 times per week. My biggest bill for gas was $60 and averages near $30/month. This year which was extremely mild didn't cost me more than $20/month. Got a 600K BTU heater - natural gas. With the cover on during the coldest months - $60/month.

We have an 8' square CalSpa that is about 14 years old. We keep it set at 104 degrees and we have it in economy mode, which means it heats twice a day up to 104 degrees.

Our electric bill continued to increase so I put an ammeter on the tub to see how expensive it is to operate.

The tub is outside and we live near the coast in California. We will get frost during the winter, but other than that, the weather is pretty mild.

Our tub used 267 KWH per month during the winter. We're on a tiered electric system, so our cost for the top tier is $ 0.34. Our tub costs us $90.78 to operate. However, I think the average cost of electricity is more like $ 0.11. So it would cost $30 per month in any "normal" state.

Lee

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.