Pool Boy Solar Reel

With a Lazy L shape, I would use a liquid cover. Whether they are the fish dispensers or a peristaltic pump fed system, it's a heck of a lot less money and nearly as effective at keeping the evaporation minimized. The liquid is about a molecule thick. It disperses as soon as someone jumps in or splashes their feet. It reforms when the water is calm. It breaks down cleanly over time so it doesn't gunk up a filter.

Scott

Solar fish is so new ...I can't phathom it retaining the heat? I plan on opening the pool in May - Oct here in MA and would like some relief from the winds and cold weather and wouldn't you think a plastic solar cover be more cost effective vs a chemical cover? Do you have specs on that fish working. My pool installer gave us one but the pool wasn't being heated more than one weekend before closing for the season so I didn't get to see and experiment.

Thanks in advance.

The biggest loss is evaporation losses. The liquid cover is not new but the formula used has made some significant improvements so as not to gunk up filters and walls.

A solar plastic bubble pack style cover has next to no R value either. It does the same thing. It stops the evaporation.

Stop the evaporation and the heat loss is minimized.

The fish dispenser is not new. Been around for years.

Scott

Post after post by people using liquid covers consistently show little if any benefit. Only perhaps one in twenty have any useful result at all. The liquid covers are great in theory, but it doesn't take very much wind to disrupt them, at which point they lose almost all of their effectiveness.

For a Lazy L the best approach is to use two separate rectangular covers. They don't have to meet exactly, just cover most of the pool. That is a bit more of a pain, and a little more expensive, but far far more effective than any liquid cover.

I have a question for the group, and a test for someone if they have the means to try it. I have an indoor lazy L pool that i heat to 76degrees F with a propane heater. I have done a lot of reading on the chemical covers (heatsavr and ecosavr) and they do not claim to replace a cover. their claim is they work 60% as well as a cover. they do not claim to "heat up" your pool they claim to "Reduce" heat loss. They say if your night time temperature is 55 degrees F and your pool is86 if it looses 1 degree with a cover and 8 degrees without a cover it would only loose 2-3 degrees with the chemical cover in place. I know people that have tried it and say they see no diference...but that is because they were watching it all day to HEAT UP, when infact the dramatic diference is the lack of heat loss, allowing it to heat up more the next day. The others i know that have said it doesnt work didnt want to buy 2 fish to use in their 26k gal pools(800 ft sq) they used only 1 which is clearly not enough. 1 is good for 400 ft sq of surface area. Like anything else I dont know if this product works or not, but it SURELY wont if you dont follow the instructions! I trust chemgeek. It is a sound chemical and thermal principal. When anyone has tried it, did you understand this principal? Were you looking for the right thing? Did you use it according to instructions? I dont know the answers, I am going to try it for myself, but i have only had the pool running for 1 week, so will have nothing to compare it to, and i . Someone whith a scientific mind, and knowing scientific principal (hmmhmmm chem geek or jason) should aquire 2 kiddy pools and give it a test. Jason if you can set up a means of collecting through this site i would even donate $25 to the cause to have an independant and REAL tridal with real data.. If i am willing i bet others would be willing too! Lets stop the speculation and get some DATA! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.