Polaris 280 tail sweep inop

Feb 13, 2012
North Texas
The tail sweep on my 280 does not move from side to side, it just drags straight behind the unit. The cleaner moves along the bottom, climbs the wall, etc. There is no blockage in the cleaner, hoses, or back-up valve. There is no pressure loss at the wall fitting or releif valve. The tail sweep adjustment screw is turned counter-clockwise about as far as it will go without falling out. The pump strainer basket is clean. The cartridge filters are clean. I have added no additional weights to the tail. What am I missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Open up the cleaner and check the water management system for obstructions. It can happen often if you have small debris. Debris will get caught inside the cleaner and can plug up certain parts of your water management system.

when mine did that it drove me crazy, until I noticed the sponge on the end was protruding past the end of the hose. Once I made sure a little bit of the hose was poking out the far end of the scrubby sponge it sweeps as I would expect now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some time back I asked the manufacturer about operating my 280 in cooler water temps. This was the response;

It's recommended for the cleaner to run in water no cooler than 65 degrees F. This is because the hoses can become firm with cold water and will dictate the path of the cleaner. Have a great day, Sir.

I've been learning much from TFP this summer, 2021. In turn, I'd like to share my experience with others (Post #1).

If you have (or had) a cloudy pool because DE was entering the pool due to a torn grid panel and you've been running the Polaris, then the Polaris tail can become clogged with DE and other particles. You'll need to pull the Polaris to the surface and check the port at the end of the tail to see if water is coming out. If no water is leaving the port at the end of the hose, then you most likely have a clogged hose. TIP: I was able to use a large paperclip (straightened out) to clear out the port (opening at the tail end of the hose) by carefully pushing back the particles, running water through the hose (easier when detached from Polaris), and repeating the method until satisfied with the flow rate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.