Should I purchase a new kit or re-agents?

Uzona

Jul 10, 2007
Arizona
At the beginning of last year (prior to discovering TFP and the TF Test Kit) I purchased a Taylor K2006 test kit.

I've read that the test chemicals lose their potency and you should replace them annually. Do I really need to replace all the chemicals each year, or will the one's I have last another season?

R-8071 is the only one I see where I might need run out and need a refill prior to the end of this season.

One more question, I use BBB for my pool, but I've recently switched my hot tub from chlorine to bromine. Do I need to order the R-8072 for testing the hot tub or can I continue to use the R-8071? If I'm understanding things correctly I can continue to use the 8071 for the hot tub, but each drop counts as 1.25 PPM instead of .5 (using 10 ML).

Uzona,

Taylor says to replace their chemistry annually but most of us find that, given proper storage, the chemistry lasts much longer. If you've kept it indoors and out of the heat, cold and sunlight, I'll bet you're good to go for another season at least. I can't give you a valid answer on the bromine R-8072 as I don't carry it but, somehow, I've always kinda thought the R-0871 could be used for a bromine test. I may be w-a-a-ay off base on that so let's let waterbear or someone who tests bromine chime in.

Some of my chemistry is 4 years old and still tests fine. I hate that! I personally think not being able to sell everyone a whole set of refills each year is the only thing holding me back from being rich and famous! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that I don't have to replace the whole kit every year. I do keep it stored indoors in a closet so it's protected from light and temperature. So it should be good for another season.

I'm currently using the 0871 to test bromine. I just want to be sure the numbers I get are accurate. I'm not sure what multipliers I should be using. Does 10 drops indicate 5ppm or 12.5ppm?

Hopefully waterbear or someone else can clear up the confusion.

I don't know about rich and famous. But if we keep spreading the word, maybe we can make you famous. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.