New potential DIYer here

res313

Feb 9, 2012
Hello all,
I'm Ryan. After browsing this site for a few days I decided to join. Some of these threads are inspirational. We are in the process of buying a home in the Austin, TX area and based upon the summer heat one of the things I want to do with a quickness is build a pool, or "spool". I work long hours so the "spool" would be great due to the lower maintenance required because of it's smaller size.
I'm certainly going to do at a minimum an owner built pool and will attempt to do as much as I can.

"quick" and "pool build" sometimes aren't a good mix.
Do your homework in the off season and have EVERYTHING ready for your build when it's time to do it, this would include researching build systems, pool components, bylaws, pumps, maintenance, BBB (pool school), decks, landscaping, plumbing, electrical, tools needed, etc.
I spent a lot of time researching and making lists for my build but it was worth it, when it came time to build it was just a matter of staying on track with my list, anything unexpected ended up being minor. Spending a lot of time getting educated before the build will pay off immensely DURING the build.

Also, once you commit to building I'd recommend allocating your time to getting it done, instead of chipping away a few hours here/there, or hire someone to install.

Good luck!

I think quickness was the wrong wording. It is something I would like to begin quickly(funds allowing) but I would take my time with. I'm here to learn, and boy is this place amazing!

It's a seriously large undertaking. My family looked at me sideways for awhile and thinks I am nuts. After all I have done I know I am nuts. Read a lot and go make friends with the inspections dept so you can learn what not to do from them!