reasonable price for hooking up electrical to a pump?

beezar

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Houston, TX
Wanted to ask a question: what is a reasonable price to hook up just the electrical to a pump?

I replaced the motor to my pump (changed from a one-speed to a two speed motor), and the electrical wiring is different. What do you think is a reasonable amount of money to pay (parts and labor) for someone to buy a toggle switch for me for the two-speed as well as hook up the electrical wiring to the pump? The plumbing has not changed.

I'm asking because I suspect the person who did it for me may be charging me too much, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

It's very hard to give a price not knowing where you're located. Or not knowing if the voltage changed and new breaker had to be installed and wiring had to be ran from the panel to the pump. You're looking at everything from $100 to $1000 not knowing the particulars.

Bama Rambler said:
It's very hard to give a price not knowing where you're located. Or not knowing if the voltage changed and new breaker had to be installed and wiring had to be ran from the panel to the pump. You're looking at everything from $100 to $1000 not knowing the particulars.

OK, that makes sense. The voltage didn't change and no new breaker was needed. panel to pump wiring was there already for a single speed motor, so extra wiring was likely needed for 2 speed motor. The toggle switch was placed between the panel and pump.

And I live in Houston, Texas... Thanks for your help

Sorry, I've never had to pay an electrician.
But I can say that there should be more factored into the equation than "I think this is simple, so it shouldn't cost much." (I used to hear that in software dev - "I had a guy that started it, so it shouldn't take you long to complete it." That's when I would walk away.)

Just equipping a truck and rolling it to a job is expensive, along with insurance and keeping the lights on at the shop from month to month, and there was a lot of journeyman-work on the path to even get to where he could come out to do work to begin with. A man or woman's trade has value.
Your job could have been $20 under the table. Or it could have been $80/hour, plus parts, with a $150 service charge and a $75 estimate. Possibly more. Hard to say what is exactly fitting, given any particular set of circumstances. I'd like to think you agreed to the job first?

Rule of thumb: $1,000 per day for contractors in the trades or specialty contractors like solar or finish carpentry. Drywall, flooring, painting, roofers, etc. charge a little less. This is based on my experience as a customer over the past eight years.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

This might give you an idea. When I had to complete my pool myself none of the electrical work had been done. The electrician I hired charged about $3,500 to do everything (bring the power from my main breaker box to the equipment area (about 50 feet), and properly connect everything to the Easytouch box and pass inspections). It took him a full day.

After installing my SWG myself I would think I could connect a two speed pump to my Easytouch box without any help.

Ok, thanks. I realize that my question involves lots of factors; just wanted a very rough estimate to see if I should use this guy in the future. Thanks for the rough estimate.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.