Pre-Treat pool

maxsrents

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2007
NJ
I just received a letter from the company that closed our pool recommending we pre-treat the pool with chemicals. Is it necessary to add anything prior to swim season?

Can't wait for spring!!

Max,

No one can answer that unless they know some test results for your water.

EDIT: Oops! I think I understand now what you meant....Is there some kind of special Spring Treatment? If that's the case, Nope! If your water's balanced, you only need some warm temps and you're in the pool!!

Thanks, Dave. So-the water gets balanced when the swim season begins. I'm gathering from their letter that they want to add chlorine before swimming season begins and before the pool begins regular operation. I wasn't sure if anything needed to be added until the cover is removed. Thanks for your help.

They are, of course, trying to sell you stuff. However, if you have a mesh safety cover, getting some chlorine into the pool early can prevent opening to a green pool. It may be VERY green if you open a few weeks after the weather gets warm. I string a floater in the middle of the deep end of the pool, open slightly, shortly after the danger of freezing is over. Last year I neglected to do so and dumped 15 to 20 gallons of bleach in the pool over about 4 days before the the chlorine level stabilized and the algae was gone. Usually, I use 4 or 5 gallons for shocking if I have used the floater. It also saves on brushing and backwashing to get rid of the algae.

If you have a solid cover, the danger of a serious algae bloom is significantly less because of the lack of sunlight.
Chris

A black micromesh cover does not allow sunlight into the pool so algae is no more of an issue than with a solid cover except you never have to pump them off or risk a cover swamp like solid types.

Ask the company if this "service" is included in the opening/closing cost. We add chlorine a month or so before opening to make sure the pool isnt green and the water is still fairly clear at no extra charge. It benefits the customer (quicker turn around time) and me (easier opening). If its not- do it yourself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.