New Pool Owner - Need some assistance

jfe

Feb 1, 2012
Hello from Georgia! I have recently finished my pool. It is a 43,000 gal plaster pool with ozone for primary disinfection, Jandy DE filter. I have had water in the pool about a month and have a chemical question. My PB recommended that I use the Instalink (by Lamotte) to enter in my analysis and get recommendations for chemical addition. I have been cross referencing the results I get from Instalink with PoolCalculator - it seems they are different. The following are my numbers from today:

1. ALK = 120
2. PH = 7.8
3. Free CL = 0.87
4. Total CL = 0.87
5. Hardness = 214
6. CYA = 22

It should be noted that my ozone is not yet installed. Based on the Instalink site - it recommends adding around 6ibs of CYA. It has all of my other analysis in range. Can someone give me some feedback on my numbers and if they are ok?

Second question - With ozone as my primary disinfectant - what is the ideal CL level to run for pool residual?

Thanks in advance for your help

Ozone won't do as a primary disinfectant. You need to maintain safe chlorine levels in the pool. Do yourself a favor and spend some time reading Pool School.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I assume this is an outdoor pool.

Your test results look like digital readouts from a strip which can't be trusted. That's one of the problems in trying to maintain your FC that low (and why ozone is a poor choice for primary sanitation)......it's virtually impossible to test for it and to manage it properly

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Just to reiterate what's been said above, you can not trust ozone as your primary sanitizer, especially if this is an outdoor pool. Read through pool school, especially the below article in the further reading section:

alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

You mentioned the ozone has not yet been installed, if this is an indoor pool, ozone can be helpful as a secondary system, but if this is an outdoor pool, you would be much better served by using a SWG as a chlorine source. Currently there are only 3 EPA approved sanitizers for pool use...Chlorine, Bromine and Baquacil (biguanide).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.