EcoStar 3400VSP Failure

DonM

Feb 12, 2012
I liked the On-Command controller, and EcoStar concept. Got one set for my spa, and one for my pool. The spa system works great. The On-Command works great. The first pool pump failed within moments (even before I hooked up the interface.) The second pump worked perfectly for 6 months and has just failed. In both failures, it seems like the VSP internal drive board failed. The VSP communication interface works with the On-Command, but it cannot interface with the internal drive board - serial number comes up 0, the internal drive board temperatures come up 0, and the power consumption comes up 0. The EcoStar interface shows an error code: "low AC voltage 20 cycles ago," but I don't know how to clear this. I powered off over night, no help. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for the response! I was not hoping to hear this, as I installed them myself. Last time, Hayward wanted to send a local guy out who knew nothing about the pump to verify it was not functioning (!?) Frustrating, at best. The mailorder place I bought it from replaced it. After six months, this is now my problem. What do you think I should do? Intelliflow could be interfaced, but will not offer the communications advantages. I suppose I could get another Ecostar, but the drive costs $880!! I'd be happy if Hayward sent me out another drive - I could easily replace it and send the defunct one back. They did not seem too helpful last time. ???

Had the same trouble with my Hayward SP3400VSP Eco Star pump today.
Started up fine yesterday , ran for about 3 hrs and quit.
Drive controller indicates it is running but there is no voltage on the drive output terminals.
Also, the Mains LED indicator next to the L1 / L2 terminal block is not lit.
Input voltage at main is good, 240Volt.

I suspect the drive is damaged internally.
It is odd that the controller does not generate a fault, it is apparently not communicating to the drive board.

th.

go to the diagnostics menu on the pump - mine does not read the serial number, or the software reision, of the internal temperatures or the power usage - all read 0. My On-Command is aware of the failure and the red lite - check system - is on. I am able to read an error code off the pump motor - "low AC 21 cycles ago" (that means 21 on/off cycles ago - a week or two the way mine is programmed.)
Your problem seems a little different, because it thinks the motor is running.
Is anyone aware of Hayward's stance on this problem? What is the latest controller version? How many people have had this issue? Is it a problem with their drive board? Are they planning to revise hardware?

I found my local distributor and was easily able to get him on the phone. Prompt and very reassuring response. Hayward want that pump back to see what had gone wrong. They shipped me out and promptly installed a new pump. I am up and running again. Great response from Hayward, and excellent local service. My pump did have one of the earlier serial numbers.

th - I heard mention of someone else back east with a similar problem that would also likely be handled in the same manner, maybe that's you. If not, persevere with your local service personnel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.