Adding Salt?

Steve737

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 25, 2011
Montgomery Texas
Well it's been a long process 4 months. It's now time to add salt and hook up the salt cell. I have read the pool school on adding salt and just want to ask if there is any additional advice. Here is what I have now.

Ph 7.5
FC 3.5
Ta 80
Ch 300
Cya 35

I do not have the salt cell installed yet it's an ic40. I also don't have my pool cleaner in yet it's a pentair kreepy krauly. I'm wondering about timing? Should I install the salt! test get it right then install the equipment or install don't use for a day or two then turn it on? Also it's a 23500 gallon pool with no salt yet I'm figuring about 675 lbs of salt to get it to 3400ppm does that sound about right to you? Thanks Steve
Here is a link to the pool so far! http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/img1193br.jpg/

Test the salt level in the pool before adding salt, or add only about 500 pounds and then retest. Most fill water contains some salt, but the amount varies.

If this is a plaster pool, then you need to wait 30 days after plaster before adding salt. If it is plaster after 30 days, you can add the salt, but do not allow piles of salt to sit on the plaster too long in one spot.

If the water is going to be below 60 F, then it would be best to wait to install the equipment until the water is above 60 F. Get the salt level correct and then add the equipment.

Thanks James I was hoping you would reply! Ya the water is 56 degrees. I'm at about 40 days now. It wont hurt the pool to have the salt in it with no salt cell will it. I'll just control the fc with bleach. I'll add 500 lbs and see how that does thanks I'm going to test the salt now. Steve

Just put it in the pool it will mix with time. It will take longer for the salt to dissolve with the cooler temperatures but it looks very cool sitting on the bottom. When I added my salt water was about 70 degrees and it took about 1/2 hour to dissolve. I didn't have the pump on, but I did brush down the sides of the pool to stir the water to help dissolve/mix it. You could add, brush, add, brush and you should be good to go. Can you really ever brush the sides of the pool too much?

Hi, Steve,

Great looking pool! :lol: :lol: Now that the salt addition is all set, your other results look pretty good. A couple of things to watch for....

1. Of course, you'll want to increase your CYA once your SWG begins to generate. 60 is a good start but you are in no hurry because of the cool temps.

2. Keep a long-term eye on the CH. It's fine where it is but may start to creep up on you this summer. If it does, keep your pH down in the lower 7's to compensate.

3. Get your cleaner working soon. It is difficult for them to overcome a REALLY dirty pool. Don't let it get away from you. I run my cleaner at least weekly all through the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.