Installation Advice

ncpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2010
TFP Team:

I recently purchased a CircuPool RJ45. I am going to try installing it myself. I have a concern in that it's recommended to install the cell horizontally, but my return plumbing doesn't lend itself to that. I have linked a couple pics of my return and suction plumbing. I would sincerely appreciate it if you guys could look at these and let me know your thoughts regarding my best bet on cell placement.

Here's the return side:
5Eq41.jpg

Just as an fyi, here is the suction side:
GQpMn.jpg

Install the cell vertically then.

Other note is the check valve in front of the pump has no business being there. If one is really needed, it should be between the pump and filter, not before the pump. If the pump loses prime because the lid is removed, it should be manually valved, not checked.

Scott

Thanks for the info. I never had a good feeling about that stupid check valve. I will install the valve when i install the SWG. Thanks alot for the information.

I believe the cell HAS to be installed horizontally, as it uses a gas trap protection, instead of a flow switch. How much space is there between the two 90 degree fittings after the multiport valve?
If you align the outlet side of the cell to the vertical pipe going down to the three way valve, does the inlet side of the cell align in between the two 90's, or is there at least enough space to glue a 90 up to the cell inlet side?

It was pointed out that the using, per the manual, requires a horizontal install. OK, Move the 1st 90 in closer to the MPV (with a union this time), point it left and then to the right, and there should then be enough space to horizontally install it.

The existing up pipe from the valves should be cut down about 4" below the elbow there, coupled and extended as needed to achieve the correct height.

Scott

Call me crazy, but I would just elbow off that really long down pipe horizontally, install the swg and then u-turn back to hook up to that same pipe, possibly with a manual bypass valve if your flow rate is high. I would install a good 18" of pipe horizontally in front of the cell though to smooth out the flow.

And on the check valve issue. In MY system, I need one in that exact spot, as when I take the lid off, most of my water flows back to the pool and I lose easy re-prime, where if it was between the pump and the filter I don't really see what it would do for me at all. Normally pgnj, I agree with most of your advice, but this time we will have to agree to disagree.

I would put a 90 going up into the cell on the horizontal pipe coming out of the multiport, and then coming out of the cell going down into the vertical pipe. You might need to use two 45s to get the vertical pipe to line up.

Coming out of the cell, you don't need the two 90s. Just line up the output of the cell with the vertical pipe. If the alignment is off, you can use two 45s to make them line up.

Cut off the pipe where the horizontal pipe from the multiport meets the existing 90. Then 90 up into the cell. Rotate the cell to point at the vertical pipe going down. Coming out of the cell use two 45s to make the vertical pipes line up. The cell will end up almost parallel with the brick wall. You can make it parallel for aesthetic reasons by extending the horizontal pipe coming out of the multiport using a coupling if you want, but it's not necessary.

Alternatively, you could probably put the output of the cell on the vertical pipe going down and then use a 90 going out of the cell into a 45, which would connect to the horizontal pipe coming out of the multiport.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think the cell can be installed that way for this swg. Some swgs do allow this, but the manual for the circupool doesn't mention it. I guess I can call the company and ask, or maybe someone knows for sure on the board. Here is the cell installation excerpt from the manual:

RCWCy.png

I'm not saying to rotate the cell 90 degrees down so that it ends up vertical. I'm saying rotate it 90 degrees towards the viewer of the picture so that it ends up still horizontal, but parallel to the house.

Alternatively, you could probably put the output of the cell on the vertical pipe going down and then use a 90 going out of the cell into a 45, which would connect to the horizontal pipe coming out of the multiport.

NC, line up the outlet side of the cell to the vertical pipe so it runs straight down. Then just plumb the 90 up into the inlet side of the cell. If your flow isn't excessive (the owners manual should tell you the max flow), you do not need the bypass configuration.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    34 KB · Views: 19
You guys are a huge help. The only small concern I have regarding Sean's recommendation is I have heard it is a best practice to have x amount of straight run before the SWG, though the manual doesn't address this. Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.